The Modern Language Association (MLA) is seeking a full-stack PHP developer to extend and maintain several open-source software products. These include the WordPress-based MLA Commons, which includes The MLA Style Center and the MLA Action Network, as well as Humanities Commons and Humanities CORE, which allow humanities scholars to create profiles, seek feedback from peers on their work, establish and join groups to discuss common interests, and collaborate through new kinds of open-access publications. This is an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to an award-winning and active open-source project (see GitHub) and to help shape the strategic direction of the leading membership association in the humanities as we seek to expand the scope of our outreach and develop new ways to serve humanities scholars.
Skills and Requirements
We’re looking for a colleague with strong interpersonal skills and intellectual curiosity who can work both independently as well as collaboratively with internal and external team members and who has experience working with the following:
- PHP-based application frameworks in a production environment (for at least two years)
- WordPress plug-in and theme development (for at least two years)
- Web presentation layer development (HTML, CSS, JS) in a production environment
- SQL statement tuning and customization
- REST APIs for two-way data exchange
- Bash shell script development for automating routine tasks
- Basic installation and maintenance of LAMP server environments
Additionally, your candidacy will be greatly enhanced by knowledge of any of the following:
- BuddyPress plug-in development
- CiviCRM development
- Amazon Web Services
- Symfony or CakePHP frameworks
- Fedora digital object repository
- Apache Solr or ElasticPress
- Identity Management (Shibboleth)
- A thorough understanding of the principles of good UX design
This is a full-time, on-site position at the MLA offices in downtown New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost. You must be able to work legally in New York State. At this time, the MLA is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to WD092018@mla.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.