UX Researcher / UX Designer, Humanities Commons
The Humanities Commons team is looking for a part-time UX researcher/designer (remote possible) to join our collaborative team. This person will be capable of juggling research, strategy, prototyping, information architecture, and usability testing to help us determine the needs and motivations of our users (and potential users) and ensure that the Humanities Commons platform satisfies those needs. The UX researcher/designer will participate in the full product life cycle, from gathering information about our users and potential users; presenting findings to product and development teams and to key stakeholders; providing recommendations for improvements, new ideas, and features; developing wireframes and prototypes; leading multiple rounds of usability testing; and collaborating with the product and technical teams to ensure that the platform is usable, accessible, and responsive.
- In collaboration with the community manager, design, moderate, and analyze usability studies and focus groups.
- Create a shared library of user research findings.
- Develop user requirements, personas, and journeys.
- Translate UX recommendations and data-driven decisions for feature/function concepts into visual designs such as wireframes and prototypes.
- Quickly and thoughtfully incorporate team feedback into designs.
- Research, define, and validate conversion goals and Key Performance Indicators.
- Work collaboratively with product and engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Three years of professional experience as UX researcher, UX strategist, usability specialist, UX designer, or similar role
- Demonstrated ability to conduct user research and synthesize information into actionable stories
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with prototyping tools
- Knowledge of Web accessibility principles
- Awareness of data-driven design
- Familiarity with an academic/mission-driven environment
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to UXRUXD2017@mla.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Modern Language Association (MLA) is seeking a full-stack PHP developer to extend and maintain several open-source software products, including the WordPress-based MLA Commons, Humanities Commons, and Humanities CORE, which allow humanities scholars to create profiles, seek feedback from peers on their work, establish and join groups to discuss common interests, and collaborate through new kinds of open-access publications. This is an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to an award-winning and active open-source project (see GitHub) and to help shape the strategic direction of the leading membership association in the humanities as we seek to expand the scope of our outreach and develop new ways to serve humanities scholars.
Skills and Requirements
We’re looking for a colleague with strong interpersonal skills and intellectual curiosity who can work both independently as well as collaboratively with internal and external team members and who has experience working with the following:
- PHP-based application frameworks in a production environment (for at least two years)
- WordPress plug-in and theme development (for at least two years)
- Web presentation layer development (HTML, CSS, JS) in a production environment
- SQL statement tuning and customization
- REST APIs for two-way data exchange
- Bash shell script development for automating routine tasks
- Basic installation and maintenance of LAMP server environments
Additionally, your candidacy will be greatly enhanced by knowledge of any of the following:
- BuddyPress plug-in development
- CiviCRM development
- Amazon Web Services
- Symfony or CakePHP frameworks
- Fedora digital object repository
- Apache Solr or ElasticPress
- A thorough understanding of the principles of good UX design
This is a full-time, on-site position at the MLA offices in downtown New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost. You must be able to work legally in New York State. At this time, the MLA is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to WD72017@mla.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.