(13) “Talk and Text: The Pre-Alexandrian Footnote from Homer to Theodectes”, in A. Kelly & H.L. Spelman (eds.) Texts and Intertexts in Archaic and Classical Greece, Cambridge (Cambridge University Press) [submitted, forthcoming]
(12) “Tragic Noise and Rhetorical Frigidity in Lycophron’s Alexandra”, Classical Quarterly (with K. Molesworth) [submitted, forthcoming]
(11) “The Poetics of Play in Hellenistic Epigram”, in S. Hayes & P. Martin (eds.) Trifling Matters: Nugatory Poetics and Comic Seriousness [submitted, forthcoming]
(10) “Early Hellenistic Epic” in M. Perale et al. (eds.) Early Hellenistic Poetry, Cambridge [submitted, forthcoming]
(9) “Moero of Byzantium” in M. Perale et al. (eds.) Early Hellenistic Poetry, Cambridge [submitted, forthcoming]
(8) “Beating the Galatians: Ideologies, Analogies and Allegories in Hellenistic Literature and Art”, in A. Coşkun (ed.) Galatian Victories and Other Studies into the Agency and Identity of the Galatians in the Hellenistic and Early-Roman Periods, Colloquia Antiqua, Leuven. [submitted, forthcoming]
(7) “The Coma Stratonices: Royal Hair Encomia and Ptolemaic-Seleucid Rivalry?”, in J.H. Klooster, M.A. Harder, R.F. Regtuit and G.C. Wakker (eds.) Women and Power in Hellenistic Poetry, Hellenistica Groningana, Leuven (Peeters) [submitted, forthcoming]
(6) “Metapoetic Manoeuvres Between Callimachus and Apollonius: A Response to Annette Harder”, Aevum Antiquum (2020) [submitted, forthcoming]
(5) “Attalid Aesthetics. The Pergamene ‘Baroque’ Reconsidered”, Journal of Hellenic Studies [submitted, forthcoming]
(4) “Nicander’s Hymn to Attalus: Pergamene Panegyric”, Cambridge Classical Journal [available since Nov 2019 on FirstView]
(3) “Penelopean Simaetha: A Flawed Paradigm of Femininity in Theocritus’ Second Idyll”, in C. Cusset, P. Belenfant and C.-E. Nardone (eds.) Féminités hellénistiques: Voix, genre, représentations. Hellenistica Groningana 25. Leuven (Peeters): 387-405.
(2) “‘Most Musicall, Most Melancholy’: Avian Aesthetics of Lament in Greek and Roman Elegy”, Dictynna 16 (2019) 1-47.
(1) “The Shadow of Aristophanes: Hellenistic Poetry’s Reception of Comic Poetics”, in M.A. Harder, R.F. Regtuit and G.C. Wakker (eds.) (2018) Drama and Performance in Hellenistic Poetry, Hellenistica Groningana 23, Leuven (Peeters): 225-271. Reviews
2019: R. Rawles (ed.), Simonides the Poet: Intertextuality and Reception
(Cambridge, 2018). BMCR 2019.02.46
2018: C. Tsagalis (ed.), Poetry in Fragments: Studies on the Hesiodic Coprus and its Afterlife
(Berlin; Boston, 2017). BMCR 2018.07.33.
2018: D. Sider (ed.), Hellenistic Poetry. A Selection
(Ann Arbor, 2017). Classical Review 68.1 (2018) 287
2017: P. Linant de Bellefonds et al. (eds.), D’Alexandre à Auguste. Dynamiques de la création dans les arts visuels et la poésie
(Rennes, 2015). Classical Review 67.1 (2017) 246-248
2016: S. A. Stephens, Callimachus: The Hymns
(Oxford and New York, 2015). Mnemosyne 69.6 (2016) 1070-1073.
2016: P. J. Kosmin, The Land of the Elephant Kings. Space, Territory, and Ideology in the Seleucid Empire
(Cambridge MA and London, 2014). Classical Review 66.1 (2016) 180-182
. Collaborative Dictionary Entries
— “Clôture, fermeture” in C. Urlacher & D. Meyer (eds.) Dictionnaire analytique de l’épigramme antique
— “Érudition” in C. Urlacher & D. Meyer (eds.) Dictionnaire analytique de l’épigramme antique
— “Équitation, Char/Horseriding, Chariot (Roman literature)” in J.-P. Guez et al. (eds.) Dictionnaire des images métapoétiques anciennes
— “Pas, Traces de pas/Steps, Footsteps (Greek and Roman literature)” in J.-P. Guez et al. (eds.) Dictionnaire des images métapoétiques anciennes
— “Vol, Larcin/Theft, Stealing (Greek and Roman literature)” in J.-P. Guez et al. (eds.) Dictionnaire des images métapoétiques anciennes
. [submitted] Select Papers Forthcoming or Delivered
2020: “Poets and their πρότεροι: Allusive Epigonality in Archaic Greek Poetry”, Arts of Allusion: Greek Intertextuality Over Time, Toronto, Canada, 11–12 Sep.
2020: “Locating Poetic Learning: Hellenistic Scholar-Poets Beyond Alexandria”, ‘Beyond the Birdcage: Hellenistic Scholarship and Learning Outside Alexandria’, 13th Celtic Conference in Classics, Lyon, France, 15–18 Jul.
2020: “The Poetics of Iteration: Greek Lyric Between Re-Performance and Intertextual Repetition”, Performing Texts, 6th Open Conference of the Network for the Study of Archaic and Classical Greek Song, Spetses, Greece, 1–5 Jul.
2020: “Homer, Hesiod and a Footnoting φασί”, CA Conference 2020, Swansea, 17–20 Apr.
2020: “Homer in his World: Palimpsestic Immersion in the Homeric Hymn to Apollo and Hermesianax’s Leontion”, Palimpsests: Literature in the Second Degree, ICS Seminar, 24 Feb.
2020: “Intertextual Impersonation in the Homeric Hymn to Apollo”, ‘Archaic Poetics of Identity’ Panel, 2020 SCS/AIA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, 2–5 Jan.
2019: “Knowledge in Gilgameš”, Ancient Near East (ANE) Seminar, Cambridge, 22 Oct.
2019: “The Coma Stratonices
: Hair Encomia, Queenly Power, and Ptolemaic-Seleucid Rivalry”, 14th Groningen Workshop on Hellenistic Poetry: Women and Power in Hellenistic Poetry, Groningen, Netherlands, 21–23 Aug.
2019: “Intertextual Agones
in Archaic Greek Epic: Penelope vs. the Catalogue of Women”, CA / FIEC Conference 2019, London, 4–8 Jul.
2019: “Sweet and Shrill Songbirds: The Sounds of Lament in Graeco-Roman Elegy”, ‘Song, Lament, Love: Harking Back to the Sounds of Elegy’, 12th Celtic Conference in Classics, Coimbra, Portugal, 26–29 June
2019: “The Coma Stratonices
: Hair Encomia, Queenly Power, and Ptolemaic-Seleucid Rivalry”, ‘Cherchez la femme: Women in Hellenistic History, Historiography and Reception’, 12th Celtic Conference in Classics, Coimbra, Portugal, 26–29 June
2019: “Intercultural Indexicality? Markers of Allusion Between Greece and the Near East”, Advanced Seminar in the Humanities, Venice International University, San Servolo, Venice, April 6th-13th
2019: “Scholarship and Learning in Hellenistic Poetry Outside Alexandria”, Hellenistic Scholarship and Learning Outside Alexandria, Università Ca’Foscari, Venice, April 5th
2019: “Repeating the Unrepeated: Homeric Hapax Legomena
in Archaic and Classical Greek Poetry”, Orality and Literacy in the Ancient World XIII: Repetition, University of Texas at Austin, March 27th-31st
2019: “Nicander’s Hymn to Attalus: Pergamene Panegyric”, 2019 SCS/AIA Annual Meeting, San Diego, January 3rd-6th
2018: “Talk and Text: The Pre-Alexandrian Footnote between Orality and Writing”, Text and Intertext in Early Greek Poetry, Christ’s College, Cambridge, September 3rd-4th
2018: “Lyric Beyond the Canon: The Ithyphallic Hymn for Demetrius Poliorcetes”, Lyric Beyond Lyric, King’s College, London, May 24th
2017: “Horses for Courses: The Metapoetics of Horse- and Chariot-Riding in Roman Poetry”, Graduate Interdisciplinary Seminar, Cambridge, November 3rd
2017: “Sweet and Sombre Songbirds: The Aesthetics of Lament in Graeco-Roman Elegy”, Classics Faculty Literary Seminar: Greek and Roman Elegy, October 18th
2017: “Penelopean Simaetha: Female Voice and Vision in Theocritus’ Second Idyll
”, La féminité dans les arts hellénistiques: voix, genre, representations
, Lyon, France, September 7th-9th
2017: “Symphonic Bestiaries: Poetic and Cultural Resonances in the Sounds of the Animal Kingdom”, 23rd CorHaLi Colloquium: Soundscapes of the Ancient Greek World
, Center for Hellenic Studies in Greece, Nafplio, Greece, July 15th-18th
2016: “The Jewish Epic Fragments of Philo and Theodotus”, Being Jewish, Writing Greek
Seminar, Cambridge, November 28th
2016: “Attalid Aesthetics. The Pergamene ‘Baroque’ Reconsidered”, Casting Off Shadows: Hellenistic Poetry Beyond Callimachean Aesthetics
, Cambridge, September 2nd
2016: “Poetic Memory”, Retirement event for Martin Drury, Merchant Taylors’ School, Northwood, June 21st [invited speaker alongside Alan Sommerstein]
2016: “Early Hellenistic Epic: A Reassessment”, Hellenistic Poetry Before Callimachus
, Liverpool, June 14th
2016: “Pergamene Poetics of Praise: Attalid Fragments in Context”, Classical Association Conference 2016, Edinburgh, April 8th
2016: “Indices of Allusion in Early Greek Epic”, Edinburgh Classics Postgraduate Seminar Series, Edinburgh, January 28th
2015: “Masks and Mirrors: Poetic Self-Consciousness and Literary History in Attic Old Comedy and Hellenistic Poetry”, 12th Groningen Workshop on Hellenistic Poetry: Drama and Performance in Hellenistic Poetry
, August 19th
2015: “Civilisation at what cost? Heracles and the Ambiguities of Progress in Hellenistic Poetry”, Progress in Ancient Literature
, AMPAL 2015, Edinburgh, June 17th
2015: “How Old is the ‘Alexandrian Footnote’? Tradition and Self-Consciousness in the Homeric Epics”, Graduate Interdisciplinary Seminar, Cambridge, January 23rd
2014: “What Happens When History Gets Intertextual? Echoes of the Herodotean Cyrus in Lucian’s Zeuxis
and Polybius VII.15-18”, Graduate Interdisciplinary Seminar, Cambridge, October 31st
2014: “From Zero to Hero: Jason’s Redemption and the Evaluation of Apollonius’ Argonautica
”, Failure in Ancient Literature
, AMPAL 2014, Cambridge, September 7th
2014: “Alexandria Imagined: the Ptolemaic capital in Hellenistic Literature”, Egypt in Classical Literature
Seminar, Oxford, June 19th
2014: “Ideologies of Galatian Victory: A Comparative Approach: Allegories and Analogies in
Literature and Art”, Recent Work on Ancient Galatia
Workshop, Waterloo, Canada, March 14th
2014: “Female rhetoric: Mica’s onslaught at Thesm
.383-404”, Aristophanes’ Thesmophoriazusae
‘Professorial’ Seminar, Oxford, February 3rd
2014: “How ‘Alexandrian’ is the ‘Alexandrian footnote’? Markers of Intertextuality in Hellenistic Poetry”, Metaphors of Intertextuality
Seminar, Oxford, January 28th
2013: “To the City-Loving Fuscus: Horace Epistles
1.10”, Horace Epistles
I ‘Professorial’ Seminar, Oxford, November 7th
2013: Respondent to A. Kirichenko, 11th Groningen Workshop on Hellenistic Poetry: Past and Present in Hellenistic Poetry
, August 13th