Steven Van Impe deposited Met intelligentie en kracht, maar ook met vallen en opstaan. Zuid-Nederlandse drukkers aan de basis van het zeventiende-eeuwse krantenbedrijf in Wenen on Humanities Commons 5 years, 1 month ago
It is well known that early modern printers had international networks and were often mobile. A lot has been written about printers from the Southern Netherlands who, for confessional or economical reasons, migrated to the Dutch Republic and helped shape the Dutch Golden Age. Much less attention has been paid to printers who moved in other directions.
Between 1666 and 1672, four printers from the Southern Netherlands migrated to Vienna. Working closely together, their settlement in the capital of the Austrian Habsburg Empire was part of a political program by Hungarian count Ferenc III Nádasdy, who strived for a modernised. His agent Peeter Binnart, the son of an Antwerp printer, would set up a press in Vienna under Nádasdy’s patronage, hiring three other Antwerp printers’ sons.
Binnart published only three works in Vienna, all closely linked to the Habsburg court or to imporant Hungarian noblemen. When he disappeared, Hieronymus IV Verdussen took over. His publications supported Nádasdy’s plans for a modernised Hungarian church. His printshop was relocated to Nádasdy’s castle of Pottendorf, while a third printer, Jan Hacque, remained in Vienna.
Nádasdy disappeared from the political stage in 1670 after a failed plot. Verdussen returned to Antwerp. Hacque survived, becaming printer to the university of Vienna. In 1671 he founded an Italian-language newspaper, the Corriere ordinario. Hacque’s son in law Jan IV van Ghelen inherited the printing firm. He secured important monopolies, becoming the court printer for Italian works and continuing the Italian and Latin newspapers Hacque had founded. In 1721, his successors took over the Vienna’s most important newspaper, the Wienerisches Diarium. Under the name of Wiener Zeitung, this newspaper still exists today. Van Ghelen’s heirs sold the printing firm in 1858.