AboutSophie Lewis is currently writing a book, Full Surrogacy Now (Verso, forthcoming). Her published cultural criticism includes a recent intervention in Viewpoint on Donna Haraway’s oeuvre and various essays at The New Inquiry, Salvage, Jacobin and (especially) Blind Field journal, where she is an editor (completing the Blind Field edited volume End/And: Feminization in Unending Times). Sophie has published research articles on surrogacy politics in Signs, Frontiers, Dialogues in Human Geography and Feminist Review. Her ESRC-funded PhD on gestational surrogacy, ‘Cyborg Labour’, was defended at the University of Manchester (UK) – supervised by Noel Castree and Erik Swyngedouw and examined by Cindi Katz. Her prior scholarly background is in English Literature (BA Oxford University), Geography (MSc Oxford University), and Politics (MA, the New School for Social Research). Sophie is a member of the Out of the Woods ecological writing collective, and has also translated two books for MIT Press.
EducationPhD, Human Geography | March 10 2017 | University of Manchester, UK
Advisors: Noel Castree and Erik Swyngedouw. Examiners: Cindi Katz and Maria Kaika.
Thesis title: “Cyborg Labor: Exploring Surrogacy as Gestational Work”. Passed with ‘No Corrections.’
MA Politics | April 2013 | The New School for Social Research, New York
Fulbright Scholar. Courses: Marx, Environmentalism, Technopolitics, Biopolitics. Thesis topic: bioconservation.
MSc, Nature, Society & Environmental Policy. | 2011 | Oxford University
St Hilda’s College. Graduated with First Class Honors and a ‘Distinction’. Thesis on ‘Climate Camp’.
BA, English Language & Literature | 2010 | Oxford University
Wadham College. Graduated with First Class Honors and a ‘Distinction’.
Work Shared in CORE
- Amniotechnics. The New Inquiry. thenewinquiry.com/amniotechnics.
- “Cthulhu Plays No Role For Me”. Viewpoint. viewpointmag.com/2017/05/08/cthulhu-plays-no-role-for-me.
- Relinquish Mission Control: Queer Eco-Pessimism, Communist Magic, and Non-Nihilistic Non-Reproduction. (on The Child to Come by Rebekah Sheldon.) Science as Culture, forthcoming.
- Gestators of All Genders Unite! Women’s Strike Verso blog, March 6th 2018. versobooks.com/blogs/3654-gestators-of-all-genders-unite.
- Review. Making A Good Life: An Ethnography of Nature, Ethics and Reproduction by Katharine Dow (NJ: Princeton University Press 2016). Antipode. radicalantipode.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/book-review_lewis-on-dow.pdf.
- Review. The Business of Being Made, ed. Katie Gentile (New York: Routledge 2015). Feminism & Psychology, 27(3):378-397. doi/10.1177/0959353516665646.
- Review. Life Support: Biocapital and the New History of Outsourced Labor by Kalindi Vora (University of Minnesota Press). Antipode. radicalantipode.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/book-review_lewis-on-vora.pdf.
- Review. The Foetal Condition: A Sociology of Engendering and Abortion by Luc Boltanski (transl. Porter) (Cambridge: Polity Press 2013). Feminism & Psychology, 27(1):124-128. doi/10.1177/0959353515604285.
- (with David Bell) “(Why We Can’t) Let the Machines Do It.” on Inventing the Future by Nick Srnicek and Alex Williams, The Disorder of Things. thedisorderofthings.com/2015/11/05/why-we-cant-let-the-machines-do-it-a-response-to-inventing-the-future.
- “Fuck Off To Back Where You Came From”: Notes on The Phantom Thread. Blind Field. blindfieldjournal.com/2018/02/09/fuck-off-to-back-where-you-came-from-notes-on-the-phantom-thread.
- Dreams of Gilead. Blind Field. blindfieldjournal.com/2017/06/14/dreams-of-gilead.
- Serf ‘n’ Terf: Notes on Some Bad Materialisms. Salvage Quarterly, vol. 5. salvage.zone/in-print/serf-n-terf-notes-on-some-bad-materialisms.
- The Future Genealogy of the Date. Blind Field: A Journal of Cultural Analysis. blindfieldjournal.com/2016/05/03/on-the-future-genealogy-of-the-date.
- Sex Against Gender. Mute. metamute.org/editorial/articles/nymphomaniac-sex-against-gender.
- Labor Pains. The New Inquiry. thenewinquiry.com/labor-pains.
- *Out of the Woods (2016) Human Nature (on Jason W. Moore) thenewinquiry.com/human-nature.
- *Out of the Woods (2015) Klein Vs. Klein (on Naomi Klein). thenewinquiry.com/klein-vs-klein.