AboutMax Marmor is President of the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. An art librarian by profession, he began his career in the 1980s as curator of special collections at the UCLA Art Library, where he was responsible for managing the collections and services of the west coast branch of the Princeton Index of Christian Art, the premier photographic archive devoted to medieval art and iconography, and the Elmer Belt Library of Vinciana, the premier research collection devoted to Leonardo da Vinci and his milieu.
Mr. Marmor has also been professionally affiliated with Avery Library at Columbia University (1988-90), the NYU Institute of Fine Arts Library (1990-94), and the Yale Arts Library, of which he was the director for seven years (1994-2001). He left Yale to assume a position at the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, as part of the planning team for the ARTstor digital initiative, serving as Director of Collection Development (2001-2007). He was appointed President of the Kress Foundation in July 2007.
Mr. Marmor’s scholarly interests lie in the field of Leonardo studies and in the bibliography and historiography of art. He is co-editor of the standard reference work, Guide to the Literature of Art History (ALA Editions, 2004) and author of numerous articles, translations and book reviews. Notable publications include: “Par che sia mio destino: the Prophetic Dream in Leonardo and in Dante,” in Raccolta Vinciana (2005); "One for the Books: A Bibliographical Gleaning for C[arlo] P[edretti],” in Illuminating Leonardo. A Festschrift for Carlo Pedretti Celebrating His 70 Years of Scholarship (1944–2014), ed. by Constance Moffatt and Sara Taglialagamba (Brill, 2016); and most recently, “Art History and the Digital Humanities,” an invited response to Hubertus Kohle, “Kunstgeschichte und Digital Humanities. Einladung zu einer Debatte/Art History and the Digital Humanities. Invitation to a Debate,” in Zeitschrift fuer Kunstgeschichte Bd. 79, no., 2 (2016).
Work Shared in CORE
- Review of Udo Kultermann,The History of Art History. (S.l.: Abaris Books, 1993)
- Review of Udo Kultermann, Kleine Geschichte der Kunsttheorie (Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1987)
- Review of Germain Bazin, Histoire de l'histoire de l'art de Vasari à nos jours (Paris: Michel, 1986)
- Review of Julius von Schlosser, La littérature artistique: manuel des sources de l'histoire de l'art moderne (Paris: Flammarion, 1984) and Die Kunstliteratur (Vienna: Schroll, 1985; reprint of 1924 ed.)
- Review of Mauro Guerrini, Bibliotheca Leonardiana, 1493 1993. 3 vols. (Milan: Bibliografia Editrice, 1990).
Other PublicationsGuide to the Literature of Art History. Ed. Max Marmor, Alex Ross. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2004