AboutMegan Meredith-Lobay is the digital humanities and social sciences analyst for ARC at UBC. In addition, Megan serves on the Compute Canada Humanities and Social Sciences National Team as well as the Software Carpentry National Team. She holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge in Archaeology where she used a variety of computing resources to investigate ritual landscapes in Late Iron Age/Early Medieval Scotland. Megan worked at the University of Alberta where she supported research computing for the Faculty of Arts, and at the University of Oxford where she was the programme coordinator for Digital Social Research, an Economic and Social Research Council project to promote advanced ICT in Social Science research.
Education2002 – 2007 PhD, “The Persistence of Memory: a contextual landscape study of the early Christian Churches of Argyll.” University of Cambridge, Department of Archaeology and Anthropology. Cambridge, UK, Supervisor: Dr. Simon Stoddart
2000 – 2001 MPhil (with Distinction), Medieval Archaeology, University of, Glasgow, UK
1996 – 2000 BA, Double Major, Anthropology and Archaeology, University of Texas at Austin, U.S.A.
- Stodart, S., Malone, C., Meredith-Lobay, M.E. (forthcoming, 2018) Politics and memory in an island Society. Fieldwork on Lismore, Argyll, Scotland.
- Meredith-Lobay 2009 A Contextual Landscape Study of the Early Christian Churches of Argyll: the persistence of memory. British Archaeological Reports, Brit. Ser. No. 488.
- Meredith-Lobay, M.E., (forthcoming 2017) “Performance of the past and early Christian practice: Lismore as a Theatre of Memory” in Gardening Time: Reflections on Memory, Monuments and History in Scotland and Sardinia. Stoddart, S., Malone, C. eds. Oxbow Press.
- Rockwell, G., et. al, 2012 “Top of Form
- Bottom of Form
- The Design of an International Social Media Event: A Day in the Life of the Digital Humanities”, Digital Humanities Quarterly, Vol 6, No.2.
- Meredith-Lobay, M.E. 2011 “Theatres of Memory: Second Life and the Cyber-Identity of the Middle Ages”, Proceedings of the 2009 Chacmool Archaeological Society Conference.
- Wong, G., Rockwell, G., Sinclair, S., Ruecker, S. and Meredith-Lobay, M.E. 2010 ‘Big See – Large Scale Visualizations’ Proceedings of the Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science, Vol 1, No 2 (2010).
- Meredith-Lobay, M.E. 2005 “Memory, Landscapes, and the Early Historic Monasteries of Scotland”. Archaeological Review from Cambridge, Vol. 20.1, pp. 97-110
Open Data Sets and Reports
- Barsky, Eugene; Farrar, Paula ; Meredith-Lobay, Megan; Mitchell, Marjorie ; Naslund, Jo Anne ; Sylka, Christina , (2017), “UBC Research Data Management Survey: Humanities and Social Sciences”, http://hdl.handle.net/11272/10430 V2 [Version]