AboutIndependent researcher, PhD dropout, reluctant autobiographer (that’s why all this is so brusque).
I prefer playing games to making them, making games to studying them, and chatting about them at the expense of all else.
- PGCE (DTLLS) – University of Plymouth, 2009
- MA English & American Studies – University of Manchester, 2008
- BA English & Creative and Professional Writing – University of Wolverhampton, 2007
Work Shared in CORE
- ‘The evolving genre of the Vampire RPGs’, in the Palgrave Handbook of Contemporary Gothic (ed. Clive Bloom). Palgrave Macmillan, 2020.
- Reviews: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and Life Is Strange: Before The Storm in Vector, Best of 2017 special (British Science Fiction Association)
- ‘The Conqueror Worm: Eddison, Modernism, and the War to End All Wars’, in Baptism of Fire: The Birth of the Modern British Fantastic in World War I (ed. Janet Brennan Croft). Mythopoeic Press: 2014.
- Review: ‘Tree of Salvation: Yggdrasil and the Cross in the North’, Mythlore 34.1
- Review: ‘The Riddles of The Hobbit‘, Mythlore 32.2
ProjectsCurrently working on:
- ‘Gamifying Fictions of Defeat’ (paper for Studies on Gothic Fiction, special Lovecraft edition)
- ‘Sticky, Crunchy, Fluffy, Slippery: a model for dissonance and harmony in tabletop RPGs’ (with Dr. Lucy Baker, Griffith University)
- International Gothic Association
- San Jenaro Co-Op
- Green Party of England and Wales
- Mythopoeic Society
- National Association for the Teaching of English
- National Association of Schoolmasters / Union of Women Teachers
- Universities and Colleges Union