Ian Willis deposited A marvellous Edwardian building in the group Place Studies on Humanities Commons 2 months, 2 weeks ago
The former Foresters’ Hall occupies one of the most prominent sites in the Camden Town Centre at 147 Argyle Street on the corner of Oxley Street and Argyle Street. On its opening in 1908, the hall was considered the best in New South Wales by the Order of Royal Foresters.
The Royal Foresters purchased the hall site, with frontages on Argyle Street and Oxley Street, in 1907 for £483.
The Royal Foresters was a friendly society at a time long before governments provided welfare benefits, and workers who became sick or injured had bleak prospects.