Erica Hayes is a Digital Scholarship Librarian at Villanova University
, where she leads Falvey Library’s digital scholarship program
and supports faculty and students interested in integrating digital tools and methods into their research. Prior to joining Villanova University, she was an NCSU Libraries Fellow
based in the Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center (now known as the Open Knowledge Center) and User Experience Department at the NC State University Libraries
. While she was working at NCSU, she was the project manager on the Immersive Scholar
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation grant. Her research interests include digital pedagogy, digital humanities, GIS, women studies and material culture in the long 18th century.
EducationM.L.S. Digital Libraries Specialization, Indiana University, Bloomington (2017)
M.I.S., Indiana University, Bloomington (2017)
M.F.A. Creative Writing, California State University, Long Beach (2011)
B.A. English Literature, Chapman University (2008)
Wills, K., Hayes, E. “Bringing the London Monster Online: Sarah Sophia Banks’s Ephemera Collection,” Romanticism and the Digital Humanities special issue of Studies in Romanticism.
(forthcoming Fall 2023)
Anthony Picón Rodríguez and Miguel Cuadros, “Introduction to Map Warper
,” translated by Lorena Gauthereau, Erica Hayes, and Mia Partlow, Programming Historian
11 (2022), https://doi.org/10.46430/phen0106
Hayes, E., Partlow, M. “Displaying a Georeferenced Map in KnightLab’s StoryMap JS
.” Programming Historian
11 (2022). https://doi.org/10.46430/phen0098
Hallman, S., Hayes, E., Gurley, W., Vandegrift, M. “Managing Digital Scholarship Projects at Many Levels: The Immersive Scholar Cohort, Residencies, and the Shift to Project Development
.” Interdisciplinary Digital Engagement in the Arts & Humanities
(IDEAH), vol. 2, issue 2 (2022).
Wills, K., Hayes, E. “Research Interrupted: A Reflection on Digitizing Sarah Sophia Banks’s Collections and Access to Ephemera
.” Romanticism on the Net
(RoN), Issue #74-75 (2020).
Hayes E., Wills K. “Sarah Sophia Banks’s Coin Collection: Female Networks of Exchange.” Women and the Art and Science of Collecting in Eighteenth-Century Europe.
Abingdon: Routledge. (2020) https://doi.org/10.4324/9780367856670
Hayes E., Wills K, “Visualizing Sarah Sophia Banks’ African Coins
,” Interdisciplinary Digital Engagement in the Arts & Humanities
(IDEAH), vol. 1, issue 1 (2020).
Hayes, E., “What I’m Reading This Summer: Erica Hayes
,” (2019).[Blog post]. dh+lib.
Waller M., Cross W., Hayes E. (2019) “The Open Textbook Toolkit: Developing a New Narrative for OER Support
.” ACRL 2019 Conference Proceedings.
Gurley, W., Hayes, E., Vandegrift, M., Wust, M. (2018). “Three-Fold Approach
.” [Blog post]. Immersive Scholar Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant.
Chen PY., Hayes E., Larivière V., Sugimoto CR. (2018) “Social reference managers and their users: A survey of demographics and ideologies
.” PLOS ONE 13(8): e0202315.
Upcoming Talks and ConferencesPast:
- Kacie L. Wills, Erica Y. Hayes, “Sexual Assault, The London Monster, and the Media’s Narratives of Seduction,” ASECS Annual Meeting St. Louis, March 8-11, 2023.
- Kacie L. Wills, Erica Y. Hayes, “Re-mediation” Panel Co-chair, ASECS Online Annual Meeting, April 7-11, 2021.
- Erica Y. Hayes, Kacie L. Wills, “Bringing Historical Maps into GIS Workshop,” ASECS Online Annual Meeting, April 7-11, 2021.
- Micah Vandegrift, Erica Y. Hayes, “Managing Projects at Many Levels: The Immersive Scholar Cohort, Residencies, and the Shift to Project Development.” Digital Humanities Summer Institute 2020: Project Management. (June 6, 2020).
- Andrew Grace, Erica Y. Hayes, “Lessons Learned from Purchasing a 3D Model,” Liberact V. 2019, NC State University Libraries. (November 14-15, 2019).
- Erica Y. Hayes, Mia Partlow, “Bringing Historical Maps into GIS Workshop,” Triangle Digital Humanities Network, UNC Chapel Hill Libraries. (May 23, 2019).
- Erica Y. Hayes, Nathan Kelber, Matt Turi, “Tropy for Archival Researchers Workshop,” Triangle Digital Humanities Network, UNC Chapel Hill Libraries (May 23, 2019).
- Will Cross, Erica Y. Hayes, Mira Waller, “Recasting the Narrative: The Open Textbook Toolkit: Developing a New Narrative for OER Support,” ACRL 2019 (April 10-13).
- Erica Y. Hayes, Mia Partlow, “Designing an assignment using ESRI Story Maps / StoryMapJS,” Triangle Digital Humanities Network, Duke University. (March 25, 2019).
- Shelby Hallman, Erica Y. Hayes, “Immersive Scholar: Building a Community of Practice & Progress Updates.” The CAAV 2018. (November 4-7, 2018).
- Erica Y. Hayes, Matthew Hunter, Sarah C. Stanley, Micah Vandegrift, “Updating TaDiRAH: Proposing a Taxonomy for Digital Scholarship Activities in Libraries.” Digital Libary Forum 2018. (October 15-17, 2018).
- Markus Wust, Erica Y. Hayes, Walt Gurley, Shelby Hallman, Micah Vandegrift, “Visualization Community – Visualizing Communities: An Introduction to the Immersive Scholar Project.” Digital Library Forum 2018. (October 15-17, 2018).
- Will Cross, Erica Y. Hayes, Mira Waller. “What Belongs in Your Open Textbook Toolkit?” Open Education 2018. (October 10-12, 2018).
- Erica Y. Hayes, Kacie L. Wills, “Sarah Sophia Banks’s Numismatic Collection.” Digital Humanities Summer Institute Colloquium 2018, Victoria, BC. (June 2-6, 9-10).
- Alison Blaine, Erica Y. Hayes, Nushrat Khan, Heidi Tebbe, “Cooking Up Data Visualization with R Workshop.” The Collective 2018. (February 28, 2018).
- Mira Waller, Will Cross, Erica Y. Hayes, “Developing the Open Textbook Toolkit: Enabling Adoption, Use, and Sustainability of OER.” ER&L 2018. (March 4-7, 2018).
- Will Cross, Erica Y. Hayes, Mira Waller. Modeling the Open Textbook Toolkit: Sharing Expertise that Promotes the Creation of OERs.” Open Education 2017. (October 11-13, 2017).
- Pei-Ying Chen, Erica Y. Hayes Stefanie Haustein, Vincent Larivière, Cassidy R. Sugimoto, “Politics of Platforms: the ideological perspectives of social reference manager users on scholarly communication.” ASIS&T SIG/MET Metrics Workshop. (October 27, 2017).
- Erica Y. Hayes, “A Digital and Naturalistic Landscape of Thomas Hardy’s Wessex.” Keystone Digital Humanities, Pittsburgh, PA. (July 12-14, 2017).
- Ewa Zegler Poleska, Erica Y. Hayes, Phillipe Mnegeon, Cassidy R. Sugimoto, “Linking research infrastructure and funding to scholarly outputs in astronomy.” Poster at Force11 2016. (April 17-19, 2016).
- Siobhain Rivera, Erica Y. Hayes, Ariadne Rehbein. “Developing Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Incorporating a Student Perspective” Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance Collaboratory (HASTAC) 2015. (May 27-30, 2015).
- Siobhain Rivera, Erica Y. Hayes, Ariadne Rehbein, “Imagining the Future of Digital Humanities Pedagogy,” College of English Association 2015. (September 2, 2015).
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) (Member 2014 – present)
- Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH) (Member 2017-present)
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS) (Member 2018-present)