AboutI am a doctoral candidate in the Department of History at Boston University. My research focuses on religious encounters in Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly religious conversion and the expansion of American mission churches, and has been supported by an external fellowship from the Tanner Humanities Center at the University of Utah (2018-2019). My scholarship has appeared in the International Journal of African Historical Studies and the Journal of Mormon History (forthcoming), and has been taught in history and religion courses at institutions such as the University of Utah and Whitman College.
I am a book review editor for H-Africa (2019- ), the managing editor of the African Conflict and Peacebuilding Review (2017- ), and the co-founder of the Rocky Mountain Workshop on African History.
EducationPh.D. (History), Boston University (ABD)
M.A. (History), Boston University (2017)
B.A. (History), Lewis and Clark College (2014)
Work Shared in CORE
- Review of Devaka Premawardhana, Faith in Flux: Pentecostalism and Mobility in Rural Mozambique (Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018), African Studies Quarterly 18, no. 3 (May 2019): 91-93.
- Review of Steven Pierce, Moral Economies of Corruption: State Formation and Political Culture in Nigeria (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2016), Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies 41, no. 1 (2018): 179-182
- Review of Andreana C. Prichard, Sisters in Spirit: Christianity, Affect, and Community Building in East Africa, 1860-1970 (East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press, 2017), H-Empire, H-Net Reviews (December 2018)
- Review of Jason Bruner, Living Salvation in the East African Revival in Uganda (Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press, 2017), H-Empire, H-Net Reviews (February 2018)
- Review of J.D.Y. Peel, Christianity, Islam and Orisa Religion (Oakland, CA: University of California Press, 2015), International Journal of African Historical Studies 50, no. 2 (2017): 358-360
- Review of Samuel Irving Britt, The Children of Salvation: Ritual Struggle in a Liberian Aladura Church (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 2012), Journal of Religion in Africa 46, nos. 2-3 (2016): 327-329
- Review of Benedetta Rossi, From Slavery to Aid: Politics, Labour, and Ecology in the Nigerien Sahel, 1800-2000 (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015), African Studies Quarterly 16, no. 2 (March 2016): 134-136
- Review of Shobana Shankar, Who Shall Enter Paradise? Christian Origins in Muslim Northern Nigeria, ca. 1890-1975 (Athens, OH: Ohio University Press, 2014), African Studies Quarterly 15, no. 3 (June 2015): 87-88
MembershipsNigerian Studies Association
African Studies Association
Lagos Studies Association
West African Research Association
Mormon History Association
American Historical Association