Aboutmanuscript, print, and digital cultures; the cultural production and circulation of knowledge; palaeography and diplomatics; manuscript studies; book history; history of science; medieval and early modern collecting; history of archives and libraries.
EducationPh.D., Medieval Institute, University of Notre Dame
Work Shared in CORE
Copies for fair use may be downloaded here
- “Manuscript.” In Cambridge Critical Concepts: Literature and Technology, edited by Adam Hammond. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, submitted & accepted.
- “Research Box: Making Visible the Infrastructures of Knowledge.” In Boxes in Action: A Field Guide, edited by Susanne Bauer, Martina Schlünder, and Maria Rentetzi. Manchester, UK: Mattering Press, in press. With Julia Pollack.
- “Period, Theme, Event: Locating Information History in History.” In Information and Power in History: Towards a Global Approach, edited by Ida Nijenhuis, Marijke van Faassen, Joris Gijsenbergh, Wim de Jong, and Ronald Sluijter, 18–36. London: Routledge, 2020. With Alistair Black.
- “Cataloging.” In Transmissions: Critical Tactics for Making and Communicating Research, edited by Kat Jungnickel, 228–238. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2020. With Julia Pollack.
- “Everyday Description Safety in the Museum.” Fwd: Museums—Special Issue on “Death to Museums” 4 (2019): 175–182. With Julia Pollack.
- Engaging with Archives and Records: Histories & Theories. London: Facet Publishing, 2016. Co-edited with Fiorella Foscarini, Heather MacNeil, and Gillian Oliver.
- “Review of Thomas A. Bredehoft, The Visible Text: Textual Production and Reproduction from Beowulf to Maus.” Journal of English and Germanic Philology 115.3 (July 2016): 398–401.
- “On the Design of the Humanities.” interactions 23.4 (July/August 2016): 76–79. With Julia Pollack. doi: 10.1145/2945291
- “Archaeology of a Digitization.” Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 65.8 (August 2014): 1515–1526. doi: 10.1002/asi.23061
- “Book Unbound: An Exploration of the Material Forms of the Codex and E-book.” Book 2.0 3.2 (December 2013): 137–147. With Julia Pollack. doi: 10.1386/btwo.3.2.137_1
- “The Performance and Practice of Research in ‘A Cabinet of Curiosity: the Library’s Dead Time’.” Art Documentation 32.2 (Fall 2013): 202–221. With Julia Pollack. doi: 10.1086/673513
- “On the Uses of Authenticity.” Archivaria 73 (Spring 2012): 1–17.
- How the Page Matters. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2011. Pbk in 2012.
- “Constructions of Authenticity.” Library Trends 56.1 (Summer 2007): 26–52. With Heather MacNeil.
Upcoming Talks and ConferencesInvited presentation: “Scholarship and its Formats: Documenting the Humanities,” Literature and its Formats; University of Copenhagen (November 2019).