- U.S. citizen born in North Carolina, USA.
- Author, editor, and translator of books, articles, and reviews about the history of the Russian revolutionary movement, Stalinist terror, Soviet trade unions, and the Workers’ Opposition within the Communist parties of Russia, Ukraine, and the USSR.
- Experience teaching: online courses (“Teaching Online with La Salle” certified April 2020); Reacting to the Past role play immersion games; oral history methods; and f2f lecture/discussion.
- Certified proficient in Russian language by Indiana University Bloomington in 1989; course work in German, French, and Spanish languages.
- Travels include Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Finland, United Kingdom, France, The Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Mexico.
- Ph.D. in Russian and Soviet History, 2001, Indiana University Bloomington.
- M.A. in Russian and Soviet History, 1992, Indiana University Bloomington.
- B.A. in Modern European History, 1989, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Work Shared in CORE
- The Workers’ Opposition in the Russian Communist Party: Documents, 1919-30. Editor and translator. xvi+944 pp. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill, 2021. Cloth ISBN-13: 978-90-04-24850-2. E-ISBN: 978-90-04-24851-9. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2022. Paper.
- Leaflets of the Russian Revolution: Socialist Organizing in 1917. Editor and translator. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2018. xiii+152 pp. Cloth ISBN-13: 9781608465477. Paper ISBN-13: 9781608469703. Ebook ISBN-13: 9781642590173.
- Alexander Shlyapnikov, 1885-1937: Life of an Old Bolshevik. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2016. xiv+426 pp. Paper ISBN-13: 9781608465583.
- Alexander Shlyapnikov, 1885-1937: Life of an Old Bolshevik. Cloth & Ebook. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill, 2015. xiv+426 pp. Cloth ISBN-13: 9789004248533. E-ISBN: 9789004248540.
- Forthcoming: “The Workers’ Opposition and the Trade Union Debate.” New Perspectives on the 10th Party Congress, March 1921: Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary. Edited by Clayton Black and Alexis Pogorelskin. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill. EDC September 2022. 10,000 words.
- Forthcoming: “Lenin and the Bolsheviks in 1917.” Handbook on the Russian Revolution. Edited by Geoffrey Swain et al. London: Bloomsbury Publishing. 9400 words.
- Article about the fabricated case against the Workers’ Opposition in Ukraine during the Great Terror
- Translations of Alexander Shlyapnikov’s memoirs about the revolutionary movement
Upcoming Talks and Conferences“Fulbright Program Promotes Diversity” roundtable participant. 53rd annual convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, Virtual Convention, December 1-3, 2021.
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
- Association of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES)
- Association for Women in Slavic Studies (AWSS)
- Southern Conference on Slavic Studies (SCSS)
- Study Group on the Russian Revolution (SGRR)