AboutScholar of Media Ecology, Internetwork Studies, Computer History and Software Studies.
Beginning in 2001 I have taught into university Media, Communication and Cultural Studies programmes at all levels of undergraduate and postgraduate coursework.
I’m also a qualified Vocational Trainer/Assessor.
I am currently a sessional tutor/assessor in 2 online-only classes.
If you are interested in any of the themes or ideas presented here on this page please feel free to contact me.
Thanks for reading this, I hope you have a good day / night!
ProjectsCurrent Research includes:
* The Software-Defined-Media Ecosystem
: Extending concepts from North American Media Ecology to make sense of the contemporary media environment. #SoftwareDefinedMedia
* Unearthing the Auscene
: Personal Micro-computer history in Australia, specifically the Commodore Amiga series (mid-1980s to 1990s) and the related creative-computing communities that comprise the Demoscene(s). #Auscene
* “digital methods
” for Media Ecology research.
* Internet Privacy for Everyday Citizens. PAST:
* “Researching Creative Micro-Computing in Australia” (2015). Promotional Video – Play It Again Project (Flinders University of South Australia). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8-10qjoiI
Upcoming Talks and ConferencesUPCOMING:
nil so far.
PAST CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS:
- 2017-10 “More than a Metaphor: The Software-Defined Media Ecosystem”. Freshlines Symposium 2017, Griffith University, Brisbane.
- 2017-07 “More than a Metaphor: Introducing the Software-Defined-Media Ecosystem”. ANZCA17 University of Sydney.
- 2014-06 “Unearthing the Auscene”. Born Digital and Cultural Heritage conference. ACMI, Melbourne.
- 2012-11 “Demoscene: Art from Algorithms”. CODE conference. Swinburne University, Melbourne.
- 2012-09 “The Australian Demoscene as a Creative Community”. Creative Communities 3, Gold Coast.
- 2006-10 “Internetwork Ecology”. Association of Internet Researchers: IR7, Brisbane.
- 2006-07 “Media Ecology and the Internet”. School of Arts in-house work-in-progress seminar series, Griffith University.
- 2003-07 “Military-Entertainment Complex”. Fibreculture 3: FibrePower, Powerhouse Brisbane.
- 2002-03 “Virtuality and Online/Offline Life”. School of Arts in-house seminar series, Griffith University.
- Producer — NoAgenda Show (twice-weekly podcast covering geo-political current events and media deconstruction)
- Associate Member — Media Ecology Association
- Associate Member — Free Software Foundation
- Creative Commons
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- 4zZz 102.1FM (Brisbane community radio)