AboutI am an independent researcher specializing in the history of art music in Ireland, especially the 19th and 20th centuries. A related field of interest is the music of Irish emigrants in Europe (particularly in France) and the US. I was born in 1962, studied at the University of Hildesheim and Trinity College Dublin, PhD in 1995. Based in Frankfurt, Germany, I have written and edited some books, numerous articles and book chapters, and was elected a Corresponding Member of the Society for Musicology in Ireland (SMI) in 2015.
EducationUniversität Hildesheim, Germany, 1984–1990
Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 1987–8
Ph.D. 1995 (Hildesheim)
PublicationsBooks authored: – O’Kelly: An Irish Musical Family in Nineteenth-Century France
(Norderstedt: BoD, 2014) – Irish Classical Recordings: A Discography of Irish Art Music
(Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 2001) – Die Musik Irlands im 20. Jahrhundert
(Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1996) Books co-edited: – The Life and Music of Brian Boydell
(Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2004). – Irish Music in the Twentieth Century
(= Irish Musical Studies 7; Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2003) Articles and book chapters since 2010
(for more see my website):
– ‘An Irish-American in Paris: Swan Hennessy (1866–1929)’, in: Journal of the Society for Musicology in Ireland
(JSMI) vol. 13 (2017–8), 47–78.
– ‘”No, Sir; the Irish are not musical”: Some Historic (?) Debates on Irish Musicality’, in: Lorraine Byrne Bodley (ed.): Music Preferred. Essays in Musicology, Cultural History and Analysis in Honour of Harry White
(Vienna: Hollitzer, 2018), 167–182.
– ‘”All her lovely companions are faded and gone” – How “The Last Rose of Summer” Became Europe’s Favourite Irish Melody’, in: Brian Caraher and Sarah McCleave (eds.), Thomas Moore and Romantic Inspiration (London: Routledge, 2018)
– (with Jennifer Ward, RISM) ‘An Evening of Irish Music: The Emerald Isle Comes to Germany’, in: Fontes Artis Musicae 63:4 (Oct.–Dec. 2016)
– ‘No State for Music’, in: Michael Dervan (ed.): The Invisible Art. A Century of Music in Ireland, 1916–2016 (Dublin: New Island Books, 2016)
– ‘Gilbert Bécaud’s L’Opéra d’Aran
(1962) – A Rapprochement’, in: Una Hunt and Mary Pierse (eds.), France and Ireland. Notes and Narratives
(Bern etc.: Peter Lang, 2015), 79–90.
– ‘Selbstfindung durch Musik. Der irische Komponist Raymond Deane’, in: Neue Zeitschrift für Musik
176.4 (July 2015), 48–50
– ‘Joseph O’Kelly (1828-1885) and the “Slings and Arrows of Fortune”‘, in: Études Irlandaises
39.1 (2014), 23–39
– ‘Qualité d’Irlandais: The O’Kelly Family in Nineteenth-Century French Musical Life’, in: Eamon Maher & Catherine Maignant (eds.): Franco-Irish Connections in Space and Time – Peregrinations and Ruminations (Bern etc.: Peter Lang, 2012)
Bird of Time: The Music of Swan Hennessy (Mainz: Schott, 2019)
Forthcoming articles / book chapters:
– ‘Musical Inscapes. An Appreciation of Brian Boydell’s Orchestral Music’; chapter in a forthcoming book about Boydell, edited by Barra Boydell and Barbara Dignam (2019).
– ‘”A Daughter of Music”. Alicia Adelaide Needham’s Anglo-Irish Life and Music’; chapter in the forthcoming volume 13 of Irish Musical Studies, ‘Women and Music in Ireland’, edited by Ita Beausang and Jennifer O’Connor-Madsen.
MembershipsGesellschaft für Musikforschung (German Musicological Society), since 1990
Society for Musicology in Ireland, founding member since 2003; Corresponding Member since 2015