Community Manager, Humanities Commons
The Modern Language Association of American seeks a community manager to work collaboratively with the MLA staff and other humanities organizations on Humanities Commons, a nonprofit digital scholarly communications initiative intended to foster open collaboration and communication in the humanities.
The community manager will serve as the front line of support for Humanities Commons end users and as the liaison between the Humanities Commons team and existing and potential scholarly organization partners. The community manager will facilitate communication, provide training and support, and create documentation and training materials for these organizations and their members, as well as for users of the platform not affiliated with an organization. The community manager will work with the head of digital initiatives to design and implement uptake, engagement, and outreach plans for the platform and to organize and convey feedback to the development team.
The successful candidate for this position will have
- An advanced degree in a humanities discipline
- At least two years of project management experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience facilitating workshops and other training events
Further desirable qualifications include
- Familiarity with recent trends in scholarly communication
- A working knowledge of metadata schema
- Demonstrated facility with digital platforms
- A willingness and ability to coordinate multiple moving parts with aplomb
This is a temporary, full-time position running through June 2017, with the possibility of a one-year extension pending grant funding. It is based at the MLA offices in downtown New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to HCCM2017@mla.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.