For scholars and fans of Atwood, Butler, Delaney, Gaiman, Gibson, Harkaway, Heinlein, Jemisin, Le Guin, Miéville, Mitchell, Pullman, Stephenson, Van der Meer, and so on…

Maps and Speculative Fiction – Research Recommendations

3 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Dana Gavin 23 minutes ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kirsten Ashley Bussière
    Participant
    @kirstenbussiere

I am currently working on a project that involves digitally mapping contemporary post-apocalyptic spaces from Speculative Fiction. I was wondering if anyone knows of any useful articles or books on the tradition of maps in Speculative and Science Fictions. Any recommendations welcome! Thank you!

I would also love to discuss this further if anyone is has similar interests.

Dana Gavin
    Participant
    @djgavin

I am so interested in this topic — thank you for introducing it!

You are probably well familiar with this online article, but I found it really helpful to get myself situated: https://bookriot.com/2015/09/02/making-maps-books-two-cartographers-tell-us-done/

I find the idea of the back-and-forth between the map-makers and the authors really interesting.

Have you already read Here Be Dragons: Exploring Fantasy Maps and Settings b<span class=”addmd”>y Stefan Ekman? I’ve only skimmed but I hope to do a deeper dive, especially if you recommend it.</span>

Kirsten Ashley Bussière
    Participant
    @kirstenbussiere

Thank you for your helpful response! I actually have not looked at the article or book that you mentioned. My previous research took me to Robert J. Tally’s comments on Cognitive Mapping, in <i>Utopia in the Age of Globalization </i>David Harvey’s Spaces of Hope both of which are less about maps per-se but rather a discussion of the geopolitical aspects of utopian texts.  Thank you!

Dana Gavin
    Participant
    @djgavin

One of the notes I made as I was thinking about your original query is the ethics of map-making (of imaginary worlds as well as “real” ones). It sounds like both Tally and Harvey might be helpful with that? I’m thinking about my own biases as I try to make up my own maps, assumptions, that sort of thing. Have you run into any of those issues in your readings?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.