The Spanish Civil War Studies group is for anyone interested in the history and culture surrounding the conflict, to share and discuss resources, announce events, or plan collaborations related to the study of the Spanish Civil War / Guerra Civil Española (1936-1939).

About the profile image: Plan of the bomb falls around the Calgografia Nacional, Madrid during the Spanish Civil War; issued with the seventh edition of Goya’s ‘Los Desastres de la Guerra’, 1937 Photogravure(?) CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, Trustees of the British Museum.

About the cover image: Goya, Plate 26 from ‘The Disasters of War’ (Los Desastres de la Guerra): ‘One can’t look.’ (No se puede mirar.) http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/361851

What we're reading and writing lately

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Anne Donlon 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anne Donlon
    Keymaster
    @adonlon

Hello all! I’ve been remiss in my role as group admin here. What is new? Has anyone published anything SCW-related in the past year or so? Is anyone reading anything interesting?

(I was prompted by this HC Summer Refresh Workshop to post. If anyone would like to join me as a group admin, let me know! I’d love to see more discussion here.)

Some updates from me:

I have a piece with Evelyn Scaramella in the latest PMLA (in the mail right now). In the Little Known Documents section, we’re publishing four previously unpublished Spanish Civil War poems by Langston Hughes plus our introduction.

I also have a chapter on Thyra Edwards’ Spanish Civil War scrapbook in the recently published To Turn this Whole World Over: Black Women’s Internationalism during the Twentieth Century [pdf of ToC] (U Illinois P, 2019).

I also presented a paper on a book sale and auction of African American literary and musical manuscripts at the Second Annual Village Fair to benefit Spanish refugees–the presentation was at a recent conference on NYC and Black Internationalism at NYU. I plan to upload that paper to CORE and share it with this group, maybe later this week.

I’d love to hear what you all have been up to!

Kathryn Anne Everly
    Participant
    @keverly

Hi Anne!

Thanks for posting- your piece in the PMLA is wonderful, congrats!

I received a Syracuse University Humanities Center Faculty Fellowship for Spring 2020 to conduct research at the ALBA archives and SU special collections on Salaria Kea- I’m very excited and will certainly be in touch to pick your brain…ok?  I would love to hear what others are doing.

http://humcenter.syr.edu/faculty-fellows.html

Anne Donlon
    Keymaster
    @adonlon

Thanks for your kind words about the PMLA piece, Kathryn! Congrats on your fellowship–the description on the faculty fellows page is very intriguing. I’d love to hear more about your project, so please do get in touch!

Apologies for the late reply–somehow I missed the notification for it.  And, yes, I’d love to hear what others have been reading, writing, watching, listening to, etc…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.