The Spanish Civil War Studies group is for anyone interested in the history and culture surrounding the conflict, to share and discuss resources, announce events, or plan collaborations related to the study of the Spanish Civil War / Guerra Civil Española (1936-1939).

About the profile image: Plan of the bomb falls around the Calgografia Nacional, Madrid during the Spanish Civil War; issued with the seventh edition of Goya’s ‘Los Desastres de la Guerra’, 1937 Photogravure(?) CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, Trustees of the British Museum.

About the cover image: Goya, Plate 26 from ‘The Disasters of War’ (Los Desastres de la Guerra): ‘One can’t look.’ (No se puede mirar.) http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/361851

SCW + Catalan referendum in the news

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by  Mariana Ou 1 year ago
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anne Donlon
    Keymaster
    @adonlon

I’m interested to hear what people have been reading lately. Today I’m reading Bécquer Seguín’s Spanish Civil Wars in Public Books: 

To see Iberia instead of Spain, then, is to take the long view of history. To write an Iberian Civil War novel is to spend less time on the exceptionalness of the war itself than on how that moment places the longue durée of the Iberian Peninsula’s regional history—one that doesn’t shy away from its conflict with Spain’s centralism—in perspective. And to recognize the grievances of Iberia’s many regions is to identify their protests, like the “No Tinc Por” march, not so much as expressions of parochial nationalism than as evidence of a desire to force the central government in Madrid to face up to its own imperial past.

Relatedly, has everyone already read The Winterlings? I’ve just ordered a copy.

Mariana Ou
    Participant
    @marianaou

Hello Anne, I’ve just joined the group so the reply comes very late. I have read The Winterlings and loved it. It’s really my type of fiction. Have you read it in the end?

That said, I wonder why the author decided to suggest that Spanish/Basque children may have suffered or been exploited in their time as refugees in the UK? In the Marx Memorial Library we have lots of materials from Basque children refugees that portrait the opposite, and I know Herminio Martinez, who chose to stay in Britain even after the war has ended. He has given a great talk on refugees recently at a local library here in London.

On the Catalan crisis, there has been a debate in May here at the London School of Economics which included Paul Preston. It was great and what’s best, the podcast of the event is downloadable from their website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/Events/2018/05/20180508t1830vLSE/the-catalan-crisis

(haven’t tried, hope it works!)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.