Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory

On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!

Whole-tone and Octatonic in pop and rock

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Keith Salley 10 months ago
  • Author

Keith Salley
    Participant
    @ksalley

Hi everyone,

Hope you’re all well and reasonably rested.

Was wondering about rock or general pop tunes that feature symmetrical/synthetic scales like WT and OCT. I don’t mind fleeting surface occurrences where the scales are just run through, like those WT scales in the intro to Stevie Wonder’s ‘You Are the Sunshine . . .’ or the recurring OCT riff in Radiohead’s ‘Just.’ A growing list of those would be great. However, I’d also appreciate anything deeper, such as a tune where the harmonic organization might adhere OCT, HEX, or even WT collections.

Could anyone refer me to anything in the pop world?

Thanks in advance!

Walt Everett
    Participant
    @wte714

Keith, my favorite rock octatonic passage is the guitars/bass trio in the transition of “You Never Give Me Your Money.”

There are a number of equal divisions of the octave, such as in the Fifth Dimension’s “Up—Up and Away,” the Doors’ “Touch Me” and Lorraine Feather’s “The Girl with the Lazy Eye.” I may list others in Foundations of Rock. Have fun!

Keith Salley
    Participant
    @ksalley

Thanks, Walt!

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.