Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory

On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!

proposed bylaws

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Megan Lavengood 2 years ago
  • Author

Megan Lavengood
    Participant
    @mlavengood

Hello! At our next meeting, I would like to vote in some bylaws. While bylaws are not at present common in the SMT Interest Groups, I think it may be the right time for our group, for a few reasons:

1. I am proposing a change to term length and the number of officers.
    2. Our group regularly gives awards, and the process for administration of the awards should be as transparent as possible.
    3. Our group is quite large.
    4. A bylaws document will aid incoming Chairs in understanding their duties.
    5. A bylaws document gives the Interest Group members a way to propose change to the governance of the group.Please take some time to look this over and comment here with any proposed changes.
    6. The Interest Group Task Force has indicated interest in encouraging IGs to craft bylaws.

We will have a more robust discussion at the meeting, but this discussion will be most efficient if we hash out as much as we can online first.

View and comment on the document here: https://hcommons.org/docs/working-draft-proposed-bylaws/

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.