Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory

On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!

New officers: Christine Boone, Chair; Matt Ferrandino, Secretary

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Megan Lavengood 1 month, 1 week ago
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Megan Lavengood
    Participant
    @mlavengood

The results of our voting are in, and I’m very pleased to announce the results.

Our group approved the bylaws as they were drafted at the time of voting. I’ve attached a .pdf here, but you can also view and comment on the bylaws in the Docs tab. By no means are these bylaws perfect, and I highly encourage members and leadership alike to propose changes as we continue through the year, so that we may vote on them at the next meeting.

In addition to formalizing several existing practices of the PMIG, the new by-laws instituted 3-year terms for our officers, and established the position of the group Secretary.

Christine Boone will be our new Chair of the PMIG, serving a three-year term from 2020–2022. The group also voted for me to stay on for my third year in the position of Outgoing Chair, the purpose of which is for me to help the transition to Christine’s leadership.

Matt Ferrandino has agreed to serve as the group’s Secretary.

There were no nominations for a new webmaster, so Alyssa Barna will stay on for now. However, it is possible that we may hold a special election for webmaster, as Alyssa would like to rotate off. If you are interested in becoming webmaster, please contact Christine and me.

That’s all to report! Congratulations to Christine and Matt.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.