Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory

On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!

New Music Series from SUNY Press

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  RICHARD CARLIN 1 week, 6 days ago
  • Author

RICHARD CARLIN
    Participant
    @richardcarlin

Hi All:  I’ve been hired as a Consulting Editor for SUNY Press to acquire new titles in Music and the Arts.  I’m looking for book proposals in the following areas:

Jazz Styles and Rock Styles:  These would be short, introductory volumes on different styles (such as bop or swing in jazz or punk or hard rock in rock), each about 50,000 words, designed to appeal to the general reader/students in college level-courses.  For each volume, the author would be expected to write an overview of the style; a brief history; and describe key recordings and performers.  An inclusive, contemporary approach is desired.

Textbooks:  The Press is generally interested in publishing college-level texts in music, including music history and theory.

Monographs:  More specialized titles in music history and theory are also welcome for submission.

For a proposal for any of title, I would like to see a brief overview for each volume; an annotated table of contents; and a sample chapter for each volume.

While SUNY Press is new to this area, I believe they are strongly committed to developing this list.  Like most university presses, they don’t generally pay an advance but they do have good distribution and a commitment to academic work.

If you are interested in learning more, please message me with your email and I’ll be glad to continue the conversation.

This topic was also posted in: Ethnomusicology, Society for Music Theory.

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.