Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory
On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!
- Lavengood Analysis of Popular Music Spring 2020
This is just the syllabus but the entire course can be viewed at popclass.meganlavengood.com.
This course is for MM and DMA students majoring in performance or education.
- Nobile, Voice in Popular Music Seminar Syllabus Winter 2020
- Atkinson: Graduate Seminar - The Music of Billy Joel
This is a class designed for MM and DMA students (most are not music theory or composition majors) on the analysis of popular music with a focus on the music of Billy Joel. Most students will not have engaged in any popular music analysis before this course.
- Osborn: Analyzing Popular Music (F2019) materials
Contains syllabus, bibliography, schedule, assignments, and repertoire list
- Acevedo - Music Technology Final Composition Project
For a music technology course project but has spec ideas if you wish to do something more techy.
- Acevedo - Theory IV Popular Song Composition Guidelines
Designed as part of a class that focuses on 20th/21st century styles and that included various previous composition projects.
- Acevedo - Pop progression Scavenger Hunt Assignment (Theory II)
Assignment for theory II (diatonic harmony) to find pop progressions and annotate with timestamps, lyrics, formal markings.
- Acevedo - Theory II Song Writing Final Project
Final project assignment for theory II (diatonic harmony) course.
- Hughes - The Analysis of Popular Music Since 1950 (2017 Syllabus and Schedule)
- Nobile Chord Loops Handout
- Nobile Verses and Choruses Handout
- Nobile Blues Progressions Handout
v shrt handout on blues progressions
- Fankhauser Chromatic Modulations in Pop Sample Lesson Plan
- Palfy NCT, RNs, Culture Sample Lesson Plan
- Nobile Analysis of Rock and Pop Syllabus
- Nobile Form in Rock Syllabus
- Palfy Rock History Syllabus
- Capuzzo Rock Analysis Syllabus
- Johnson Pop Analysis Syllabus
- Harrison Pop Form Syllabus