For all who are interested in reflecting on how to make the results of research accessible to a wider public, be it in blogs, via social media or on radio and television.

What is meant by Scholarly Communication

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Michael Hölscher 2 months, 1 week ago
  • Author

Peter Johan Lor
    Participant
    @peterjlor

Good day

I’m interested in Scholarly Communication and was quite excited to discover this group. However, after browsing through the “from CORE” items I was disappointed. It seems that the group is being used for the posting of content from the fields of business and economics. Inspection of the content shows that, while it may constitute scholarly communication, it has very little relevance to the topic of scholarly communication as a field of study.

What should be covered by “scholarly communication”? Here is a sample of publications which I consider to be about scholarly communication, drawn from the bibliographic database I developed for my book International and compararive librarianship: concepts and methods for global studies (Berlin: De Gruyter-Saur, 2019). It is limited to authors whose last names start with the letters A to F:

Achachi, Hind, Zakia Amor, Corinne-Colette Dahel-Mekhancha, Mohammed Cherraj, Hamid Bouabid, Sandra Selmanovic, and Vincent Larivière. 2016. ‘Factors Affecting Researchers’ Collaborative Patterns: A Case Study from Maghreb Universities / Les Facteurs Affectant Les Pratiques de Collaboration Des Chercheurs : Une Étude de Cas Des Universités Maghrébines’. Canadian Journal of Information and Library Science 40 (3): 234–53.

Al-Aufi, Ali Saif, and Peter Johan Lor. 2012. ‘Development of Arabic Library and Information Science: An Analysis Utilizing Whitley’s Theory of the Intellectual and Social Organization of Sciences’. Journal of Documentation 68 (4): 460–91. doi:10.1108/00220411211239066.

Alperin, March. 2014. ‘Altmetrics Could Enable Scholarship from Developing Countries to Receive Due Recognition.’ Impact of Social Sciences. March 10. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/03/10/altmetrics-for-developing-regions/.

Altbach, Philip G. 1992. ‘Publishing in the Third World: Issues and Trends for the 21st Century’. In Publishing and Development in the Third World, edited by Philip G Altbach, 1–27. London: Hans Zell.

———. 2006. ‘Literary Colonialism: Books in the Third World’. In The Post-Colonial Studies Reader, edited by A (Bill) Ashcroft, Gareth Griffiths, and Helen Tiffin, 2nd ed., 485–90. London; New York: Routledge.

Arunachalam, Subbiah. 2003. ‘Information for Research in Developing Countries — Information Technology, a Friend or Foe?’ International Information & Library Review 35 (2–4): 133–47. doi:10.1016/S1057-2317(03)00032-8.

Åström, Fredrik, and Agnes Sandor. 2009. ‘Models of Scholarly Communication and Citation Analysis’. In ISSI 2009: The 12th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics, 10–21. Rio de Janeiro: BIREME/PAHO/WHO & Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.

Balehegn, Mulubrhan. 2017. ‘Increased Publication in Predatory Journals by Developing Countries’ Institutions: What It Entails? And What Can Be Done?’ International Information & Library Review 49 (2): 97–100. doi:10.1080/10572317.2016.1278188.

Bearman, David. 2006. ‘Jean Noël Jeanneney’s Critique of Google: Private Sector Book Digitization and Digital Library Policy’. D-Lib Magazine 12 (12): n.p.

Bodó, Balázs. 2016. ‘Pirates in the Library – an Inquiry into the Guerilla Open Access Movement’. SSRN Scholarly Paper presented at the 8th Annual Workshop of the International Society for the History and Theory of Intellectual Property, CREATe, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, July 6. doi:10.2139/ssrn.2816925.

Burns, Patrick. 2017. ‘Academic Journal Publishing Is Headed for a Day of Reckoning’. The Conversation. November 6. http://theconversation.com/academic-journal-publishing-is-headed-for-a-day-of-reckoning-80869.

Casalini, Michele. 2016. ‘Humanities and Social Sciences Academic Content in the Era of Digital Transition’. Conference paper presented at the VALA 2016 – Libraries, Technology and the Future, Melbourne, February 9. http://www.vala.org.au/vala2016-proceedings/1007-vala2016-session-3-casalini.

Chakava, Henry. 1996. ‘International Copyright and Africa: The Unequal Exchange’. In Publishing in Africa: One Man’s Perspective, 75–94. Bellagio Studies in Publishing 6. Oxford: Bellagio Publishing Network in association with the Boston College Center for International Higher Education.

Chapin, Jennifer. 2018. ‘Innovation and Success with AuthorAID in Tanzania, Ghana, Vietnam and Sri Lanka’. Practising Development. January 16. http://blog.inasp.info/innovation-success-authoraid-tanzania-ghana-vietnam-sri-lanka/.

Cramond, Stephen. 1999. ‘Efforts to Formalise Internationall Collaboration in Scholarly Information Infrastructure’. Library Hi Tech 17 (3): 272–82.

Csomós, György, and Balázs Lengyel. 2019. ‘Mapping the Efficiency of International Scientific Collaboration between Cities Worldwide’. Journal of Information Science, April, 0165551519842128. doi:10.1177/0165551519842128.

Das, Anup Kumar. 2015a. ‘Introduction to Scholarly Communication’. In UNESCO Curriculum for Researchers, 5–16. Paris: UNESCO. ———. 2015b. Scholarly Communication. Open Access for Researchers, Module 1. Paris: UNESCO. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002319/231938e.pdf.

De Wit, Hans, Philip G Altbach, and Betty Leask. 2018. ‘Addressing the Crisis in Academic Publishing’. Inside Higher Ed. November 5. https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/world-view/addressing-crisis-academic-publishing.

Demir, Selcuk Besir. 2018. ‘Scholarly Databases under Scrutiny                                                   ’,. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, June, 0961000618784159. doi:10.1177/0961000618784159.

Flowerdew, John. 2001. ‘Attitudes of Journal Editors to Nonnative Speaker Contributions’. Tesol Quarterly 35 (1): 121–50. doi:10.2307/3587862.

Flynn, Jacob, Rebecca Giblin, and Francois Petitjean. 2019. ‘What Happens When Books Enter the Public Domain? Testing Copyright’s Underuse Hypothesis Across Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada’. University of New South Wales Law Journal 42 (4). https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=3401684.

Members of the group can decide for themselves whether the above list is relevant to the topic of scholarly commnication. I would be interested in receiving feedback. Also, if members are interested, I could continue the bibliography to cover the letters G-Z .

The above list is somewhat skewed towards work on scholarly communication in the developing world. Some other areas that I can think of that are under-represented in this list are the political economics of scholarly work and scholarly publishing, intellectual property issues, open access, open science, open data, digitization and preservation of scholarly resources, bibliometrics, informetrics and altmetrics and their use/misuse in evaluating scholars and institutions, and international research collaboration. If there is interest, I could add some references for these topics.

Terry Carter
    Participant
    @tcarter63

Very interesting and informative bibliography, Peter.

Michael Hölscher
    Participant
    @michaelhoelscher

Actually, my understanding of scholarly communication was that we could discuss how to transfer scientific findings to a broader public. Or as the group description says: “For all who are interested in reflecting on how to make the results of research accessible to a wider public, be it in blogs, via social media or on radio and television.”

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.