The Open Access Books Network is a space for passionate conversations about OA books. Researchers, publishers, librarians, infrastructure providers — indeed, anyone who is interested — can discuss any aspect of OA books here. This group was begun by members of OAPEN, OPERAS, ScholarLed and SPARC Europe.
————————————————————————————–

DISCUSSION — contribute to any of the discussion threads, or start your own!

SITE — check out our latest blog posts, and get in touch (info@oabooksnetwork.org) to propose a post on any aspect of OA books.

FROM CORE / FILES — add any publications or documents related to Open Access books.

DOCS — go here for collaborative documents on OA book projects and resources.

TWITTER: @oabooksnetwork

Header photo by Fallon Michael on Unsplash.

Profile image by Ronald Snijder.

OA and translations

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by  Lucy Barnes 2 months ago
  • Author

Philippa Grand
    Participant
    @philippagrand

I have a question about OA and translations and wonder if anyone has any expertise in this area and if they would mind if I got in touch?  At BUP we are discussing whether we might publish an English edition of an OA book originally published in German, but I don’t know if there is any best practice here or how best to approach it, and have various questions that I’d be keen to ask someone who had experience here!  Thank you!

Lucy Barnes
    Participant
    @lucybarnes

Hi Philippa, I’d be happy to discuss this — at OBP we have been approached by people interested in translating our OA books and I could talk through how we deal with this. Essentially, if the book is licensed CC BY then anyone can produce a translation as long as appropriate attribution is given, although it would also be best practice to say whether the translation has been approved by the original author or publisher, or not. If the license is not CC BY, or if you would like to publish an approved translation, then there would be other issues to consider. I’d be happy to talk it through further here on the boards or via email (lucy@openbookpublishers.com).

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.