The Open Access Books Network is a space for passionate conversations about OA books. Researchers, publishers, librarians, infrastructure providers — indeed, anyone who is interested — can discuss any aspect of OA books here. This group was begun by members of OAPEN, OPERAS, ScholarLed and SPARC Europe.
————————————————————————————–

DISCUSSION — contribute to any of the discussion threads, or start your own!

EVENTS — add details of any event related to Open Access books (please include a link and a hashtag).

SITE — check out our latest blog posts, and get in touch (info@oabooksnetwork.org) to propose a post on any aspect of OA books.

FROM CORE / FILES — add any publications or documents related to Open Access books.

DOCS — go here for collaborative documents on OA book projects and resources.

TWITTER: @oabooksnetwork

Header photo by Fallon Michael on Unsplash.

Profile image by Ronald Snijder.

Business Models for Open Access Books

• Author

Tom Mosterd
    Participant
    @tommosterd

This topic aims to facilitate and provide information around business models for Open Access books. What business models are out there for Open Access books? How are these evolving and are there particular challenges that could be addressed to improve these?

Lucy Barnes
    Participant
    @lucybarnes

There are a couple of in-depth posts that have been published in recent weeks by scholar-led presses discussing their business models in some detail (one of which I co-wrote, for full disclosure!) – they might be of interest to this thread:

Vanessa Proudman
    Participant
    @vanessaproudman

Since there is quite some diversity in the OA books community, would love to hear more about the financial or business models that support Open Access books other than BPCs from publishers in countries across all corners of Europe and beyond.

OBP does a great job of being transparent about their publishing costs and about their revenue streams in their blog post of May 2020.

Are you a small or large publisher? What financial / business models are you using? And how do they scale, and do they need to? What lesson have your learnt? Please share here.

Tom Grady
    Participant
    @scholtom

@COPIM project (Work Package 3) is just putting the finishing touches to a report containing a comprehensive review of extant OA monograph revenue models – think there are about 17 or 18 models we’ve identified. (Some more practical than others, and I think all of them used in some kind of combination). We will hopefully publish the report next week so I’ll add a link to that to this thread if that would be useful?

Tom Grady
    Participant
    @scholtom

Hi folks, we just published our (quite large!) report on revenue funding models for OA monographs. So, as promised, you can read and download it for free from here:

https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4011836

If anyone has questions arising from this report then please do get in touch on here – happy to discuss and keep the conversation going.

Sebastian Nordhoff
      Participant
      @snordhoff

I had a look at @scholtom‘s report. Very nice work. The section on “subscribe-to-open” lists Language Science Press. I am not sure this is 100% correct. LangSci never had closed content, so we could not possibly do a transition, and we can also not threaten to revert back to that. I can see how we ended up there, but the model is slightly different.

We have published our annotated business model here: https://zenodo.org/record/1286972

Our annual reports including revenue and expenditures can be found here: https://userblogs.fu-berlin.de/langsci-press/category/statistics/

Tom Grady
        Participant
        @scholtom

Hi Sebastian, thanks for this feedback. Hmm I’ll have a chat with my fellow authors and see if we can incorporate what you’ve told us here. Looks like we may have misinterpreted something along the way. This is very useful feedback and a great example of how this network works!

Best wishes,

Tom

Lucy Barnes
    Participant
    @lucybarnes

A couple more posts on OA books and business models, all (relatively) recently published:

Tobias Steiner
    Participant
    @cmplxtvstudies00

MIT’s Center for Research on Equitable and Open Scholarship has recently advertised its “selective bibliography” on The Economics of Scholarly Monographs:

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.