A discussion and announcement platform for music researchers sponsored by the Musicological Society of Australia

SURVEY: “What Do Musicologists Do All Day?”

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Frans Wiering 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Frederic Kiernan
      Participant
      @fkiernan

Dear MSA Forum members,

On behalf of Frans Wiering, co-chair of the IMS Study Group “Digital Musicology,” I would like to bring to your attention the following survey:

In “What Do Musicologists Do All Day” (WDMDAD) we are investigating the use of technology in the work of music researchers in the widest sense.

Researchers frequently make use of the possibilities that mobile phones, social media, digital libraries, search engines, and computer software offer. But these technologies do not always have a good fit with daily work practices. We would like to discover what needs to be done to make this fit better, and what successful practices already exist that we can learn from. We first did a survey on this topic in 2014–15. Our present survey will provide some insights into how you have responded to the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether you do not use much technology, or if you use it a lot, we are interested in finding out your views.

To participate in our survey, please visit opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=76752<https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=76752&gt;. The questions are in English: You can respond in the language you feel most comfortable with. We would very much appreciate your participation and help in circulating this survey to music researchers worldwide.

Charles Inskip is an associate professor at University College London researching information literacy and digital scholarship, Frans Wiering is an associate professor at Utrecht University and co-chair of the IMS Study Group “Digital Musicology.” If you have any questions, please contact us at c.inskip@ucl.ac.uk<mailto:c.inskip@ucl.ac.uk> or f.wiering@uu.nl<mailto:f.wiering@uu.nl>.

Many thanks in advance,

Charles Inskip and Frans Wiering

Frederic Kiernan | Melbourne Postdoctoral Fellow | PhD MMus
      Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, The University of Melbourne
      T: +61 3 9035 4597 | E: kiernanf@unimelb.edu.au<mailto:kiernanf@unimelb.edu.au>
      Secretary, Musicological Society of Australia

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.

Frans Wiering
      Participant
      @franswiering

Dear all,

Thanks a lot Frederic for publicizing our survey! We have already received a good number of responses, we appreciate everyone’s contribution to our research.

If you haven’t participated yet but would like to do so, please visit https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=76752

Best wishes,

Frans Wiering

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Only members can participate in this group's discussions.