In 2018, Humanities Commons honored one of the most time-honored traditions of the season: summer camp. We hosted a virtual summer camp for users old and new. It helped participants to update, build, and achieve an outstanding digital presence through HC. Please check out the discussions from Summer 2018 to see the fantastic work and thought-provoking conversations that our participants took part in last year.

In 2019, we hosted two Humanities Commons Summer Refresh Workshops. These events encouraged you to set aside time to update your digital presence on HC. The group is a space to ask questions, connect with other users, and see the various exciting ways that other scholars use HC to build their presence online.

You can use these materials as you update your presence on the Commons.

Please visit our site for more information and updates: https://hcsummercamp.hcommons.org

Welcome!

18 replies, 19 voices Last updated by  Katharine G. Trostel 11 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Dana Gavin
    Participant
    @djgavin

Hi there! I’m Dana Gavin, wrapping up coursework in my PhD studies at Old Dominion University while I teach at Marist College. I am excited to learn more about being a very deliberate and thoughtful online communicator. For example, academic Twitter has been a joy for me, but I want to make sure I am proceeding forward with best practices in mind. Cheers and I look forward to learning from everyone!

Jessica Horvath Williams
    Participant
    @jchwill

Hi, all! — I’m Jessica Horvath Williams, a doctoral student in Lit in English at UCLA. I’m a 19th century Americanist, working on literary form and disability, especially mental disability (filing in June 2020). I’m back and forth between California and Minnesota, where my partner lives, and I work the Critical Disability Studies Collective at UMN. I also do disability and race/gender/sexuality education and activism, especially recently with medical professionals, in the Twin Cities. My summer goals center around finishing up the first chapter of my dissertation and establishing an online presence. Pleasure to meet you all!

Scott Banville
    Participant
    @sbanville

Hi,

I’m Scott Banville. I’m an associate professor at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, LA. I teach Victorian literature as well as literature in general in addition to a lot of composition and advanced writing–technical writing for the sciences in particular.

I serve as the Writing Program Administrator for the department as well as on other committees.

My current projects are thinking about how Tony Pastor’s traveling (and non-traveling) vaudeville company’s are a window into the development of American (popular) culture. My other project is Rhetorical Mapping: Oil, Land, and People in South Louisiana. It’s grown out of work with students in a couple of digital rhetoric courses. It attempts to use data from existing oral history projects to map internal migration in the Bayou Region of Louisiana, to archive and document the changes in recreational and subsistence activities, as well as other cultural and economic activities in the area.

I’ve know about HC for a while and thought the summer came would be a good way to boot the post-tenre blues.

Katharine G. Trostel
    Participant
    @katietrostel

Hello!

My name is Katie Trostel, and I am an Assistant Professor of English at Ursuline College in Cleveland, Ohio. I recently earned my PhD in Literature from UC Santa Cruz where I focused on contemporary Latin American women’s writing centering on post-trauma cityscapes. I am excited to see how I can use my presence on the Humanities Commons to make new connections!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.