A group for Humanities Commons beta testers

Found a bug? Let us squish it! Want to make a suggestion? We'd love to hear it!

7 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Susan Hollis Merritt 2 years, 3 months ago
  • Author

Nicky Agate
    Keymaster
    @terrainsvagues

This is a group for our beta testers to record bugs and usability issues (screenshots always welcome—as are details about browsers, operating systems, etc.). Start a new topic if you find an issue or want to make a feature request that hasn’t been recorded yet, or reply to an existing topic to add your voice to that issue.

Susan Hollis Merritt
    Participant
    @shmerritt

Sorry if I’m the only one who has noticed this or if it only affects my profile:

Coding of italics and hyperlinks and URLs seems to have been messed up.  Even though in the “edit” mode in my profile, everything is coded fine and looks fine (italics, hyperlinks, URLs, line breaks, etc.), in the actual “view” mode that shows up when out of “edit” mode, most of the italics have disappeared (in “Publications” section, e.g.) and the links are all messed up, with the html codes not in right spots, even though they show up in right spots in “edit” mode and in “text” and “visual” choices.  The same thing happened a few months ago.  I’m working on something else right now and need my HC/MLA Profile to show up correctly since I’m referring to it in that work. So I really need this “bug” (if that is what it is) corrected within a few days if possible.

Re: earlier matter in other thread re: publications: I’ve noticed that now there is a “show” or “hide” feature for CORE and that if there’s nothing uploaded into it, the section heading doesn’t show up.  Those changes work well, I think.  Thank you.

Ryan Williams
    Keymaster
    @rwms

Hello Susan,

Thank you for reporting this. It’s fixed now.

The problem had to do with a filter which was reactivated recently that tried to replace text surrounded by square brackets in profile fields with links to searches on those terms. Only profile fields containing text in square brackets were affected.

It turns out that filter didn’t work quite right (and removed other markup like italics and links unnecessarily) and we hadn’t used it for a long time anyway, so we’ve turned it off again and your Publications field is displaying normally now.

Susan Hollis Merritt
    Participant
    @shmerritt

Thanks very much, Ryan.  I didn’t mention before that, for some reason, the format for “Memberships” list changed too, running together all the text previously on separate single-spaced lines.  I’m afraid to use “edit” because some other formatting sometimes get lost when I do (or so it seems). Anyway, is there some way to make the “Memberships” section have separate single-spaced lines again, the way the final list of interests in the “About” section does? I tinkered with its format several times earlier, but no matter how I re-formatted it, it changed back to how it shows up now (run all together). Hope you can help with this apparent glitch too.

Again, back to other work under deadline. But at least I can keep a link the MLA Profile in it, since the “Publications” format, etc. is fixed.  Thanks again.

Ryan Williams
    Keymaster
    @rwms

The memberships display issue is now fixed. Edit mode was not affected, it was only a CSS rule that prevented non-HTML newlines from being rendered. It was still possible to add line breaks using HTML, but that only changed in a recent update and wasn’t actually necessary so I’ve reverted to the old behavior now.

To see the change immediately you’ll need to clear your browser cache.

Susan Hollis Merritt
    Participant
    @shmerritt

I hope that this group is still functional.  Today I discovered that somehow the actual URL/web address that I’ve supplied as a website link in my profile, which is the Internet Archive archived link for my website, no longer appears as I type it in.  Here is the code: https://web.archive.org/web/20131209052925/http://susanhollismerritt.org/index.html

Unfortunately, the MLA Commons/HC system omits not only the opening “https://” but then omits some of the crucial punctuation marks, such as forward slashes, rendering the address unreachable and leading to an error page.

Please help to correct this problem if you or your web technicians can do so.

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter (and earlier ones).

Susan

Ryan Williams
    Keymaster
    @rwms

Hello Susan,

Thanks for reporting this bug. I’ve fixed the problem, so please try again and let me know if you find any other issues.

Susan Hollis Merritt
    Participant
    @shmerritt

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for fixing the problem.  I’ve been able to reinsert the link to my archived Web site now.

I hope that you enjoy a happy and safe July 4th holiday!

Susan

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.