This is your platform! What would you like to see here? What are we missing?

Members search

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Colin Greenstreet 1 year, 6 months ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Émilie Pagé-Perron
    Participant
    @sohnyrin

I would add filters to search in people, maybe from tags on their papers or based on their interests.

Also importing contacts from other social media and academia.edu

Colin Greenstreet
    Participant
    @marinelives

I agree. Member search is cumbersome at the moment. Simple improvements, such as faceted search by A-Z and by geography would help, e.g. a single page with links to all members in US, in England, in X…; a single page with listing of A-Z.

It would also be very useful to be able to invite all followers on Academia.edu to join Humanities Commons, or perhaps, in a more targetted fashion, to invite them all to join a specific group an individual is hosting on Humanities Commons. I would invite my Academia.edu followers to join our Humanities Commons hosted open-source historical mapping group. They will then see the power of Humanities Commons as a collaborative platform, and it is up to them to decide then whether to join.

I would also like to be able to invite all the MarineLives Twitter followers to join our collaborative group on Human Commons – we have 1116 followers on Twitter, of whom probably 50% are academics, with additional GLAM and IT professionals. This would be a very powerful mass invitation and very useful functionality, not just for me and my volunteer academic/public not-for-profit, but for other academics and public history/citizen science type organisations to use your collaborative and archiving platform.

Nicky Agate
    Keymaster
    @terrainsvagues

Hi there,

Unfortunately some of what you’re asking for here would require Academia.edu to have an API that we could interface with, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

We’ll look into the various options for importing contacts from social media sites, but again that is probably going to require those sites to be open to us interacting with them.

As for adding facets to the member search, that seems more doable. Improving search is a development priority for us over the coming months, so we’ll look into this feature request being a part of that. For now, though, you can look at an alphabetical list of Humanities Commons members by going to https://hcommons.org/members/, using your search term, and then selecting Alphabetical as the sort.

Thanks for your feedback, @marinelives and @sohnyrin!

Colin Greenstreet
    Participant
    @marinelives

Thanks Nicky for your quick reply.

I have gone to my Twitter followership and am tweeting open invitations, plus using an internal mailing list to send ten invites at a time.

Best regards, Colin

Colin Greenstreet
    Participant
    @marinelives

Thanks Nicky,

Glad you are looking at facets.

The alphabetical sort option still means then paging through lots of HTML pages. An alphabetical facet would have one page with 24 buttons, each with an ascending letter, which would then go to all “A” names, all “B” names etc.

Best regards, Colin

Colin Greenstreet
    Participant
    @marinelives

Nicky,

Is there any functionality which allows upload of a gallery of images to a group (e.g. maps, photographs, engravings)?

Not urgent.

Best regards, Colin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.