Group for ethnomusicologists or anyone interested in music studies

Social Psychology and Music expertise wanted

1 voice, 0 replies
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Gregory Reish
      Participant
      @greish01

[Posting on behalf of Joe Weed. Please respond directly to him if you have ideas or information to share. Thanks]

In conjunction with my work on fiddle tune histories, I’d like to talk with somebody whom I’d call a “social psychologist.” I’m not sure if such a specialty exists within psychologists, or if I’ll just need to talk with a general psychologist who understands roots music and Americans’ fascination with it.
      This person, a qualified psychologist, could talk about the “collective” psychology of American society, and perhaps cover some of these topics:

• Our longing for folk roots, including in music
      as societal ancestors (not necessarily genre-specific)

• Americans’ honoring a body of “folk” culture that we look to for:
      solace
      emotional comfort
      self expression
      guidance

• The ways we mold our self-expression to fit a perceived cultural identity

• How might these concepts allow for or resist change and development, while preserving traditions?

(And a specific instance of a current project: In the case of Frankie Rodgers\’ “Ookpik Waltz,” what might help explain the large body of myth that has grown around the tune, mislabeling its roots as Alaskan/Native American?)

I’d like to discuss the above topics with the social psychologist and then use some of their comments on camera.
      Do you know of such a person?
      Is there already a musicologist who has articulated these concepts especially clearly?
      Does this line of pursuit seem valuable to you, or misguided? Is it missing a big picture?

With gratitude, and apologies for cross-posting,
      Joe Weed
      Producer
      Highland Studios
      joeweed.com
      joe@joeweed.com
      (408)655-2485 Mobile
      PO Box 554
      Los Gatos, CA 95031-0554

Gregory Reish, PhD

Director, Center for Popular Music

Professor of Music History

Middle Tennessee State University

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Only members can participate in this group's discussions.