Language, material culture, fiction, cultural studies, more. Anything related to 6th – 10th centuries, anywhere in the world.

Welcome!

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Nicola Griffith 3 years, 1 month ago
  • Author

Nicola Griffith
    Participant
    @nicolaz

Just experimenting. If anyone out there wants to join–or take over, or contribute, or has ideas about how this should go–just say so. Meanwhile, welcome!

Colin Greenstreet
    Participant
    @marinelives

Hello. I would like to ask what your academic/non-academic background is? I clicked on your profile and found a pretty landscape. I know next to nothing about early-medieval, but am interested and  happy to trade knowledge of the mid-C17th. I am co-founder and co-director of a volunteer led project named MarineLives, which is working on the collaborative transcription, linkage and enrichment of documents from the English High Court of Admiralty, 1650-1669.

Nicola Griffith
    Participant
    @nicolaz

Colin, I missed this. Apologies! My expertise is creative writing rather than early medieval history (I have a PhD from Anglia Ruskin University). But my most recent novel is Hild, set in 7th-C Britain. It won some awards and is taught in several universities (with both a Literature and Early Medieval focus). I’m still researching the seventh-century and creating this group seemed like a good idea…

Mary Dockray-Miller
    Participant
    @mdockraymiller

Hi Nicola and Colin — just wanted to say that I loved Hild and eagerly await the sequel. (Am I right that there will be a sequel?) All of my work focuses on women’s connections with literary production in pre-1100 England, so I’m a huge Hild fan.
    Cheers, Mary

Nicola Griffith
      Participant
      @nicolaz

Mary, I’m delighted you liked Hild! Yes, I’m working on the sequel, working title Menewood. It’s a bit delayed because I took an unexpected detour to get a PhD 🙂 And then I wrote a (non-7th C) novella. But, yep, sequel in the works, and one more after that.

Also, I love the stuff you’ve been uploading here…

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.