A group for any and all who are interested in using online crowdsourcing for research, or researching the practice of crowdsourcing for research in the humanities. Practitioners, participants, enthusiasts and skeptics welcome. This is a group for information, discussion, and sharing resources (projects, toolkits, analysis methods, publications, etc.).

Crowdsourcing and citizen science task design: analogue vs. digital

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by  Mia Ridge 1 month ago
  • Author

Julien A. Raemy
    Participant
    @julsraemy

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this group (thanks to Mia who suggested it).

My name is Julien Raemy and I just stared a PhD in Digital Humanities at the University of Basel.

The PhD is conducted within a multidisciplinary project called PIA (https://www.researchgate.net/project/Participatory-Knowledge-Practices-in-Analogue-and-Digital-Image-Archives-PIA) around three photographic collections from the Swiss Society for Folklore Studies. We will have a prototype interface within 1-2 years where we will do crowdsourcing, but in the next few months, conditions permitting, we will also organise workshops where participants (academic and non-academic) will come and comment/annotate/discuss around analogue photos. Do you think the tasks and the kind of assignments should be the same if it’s on analogue or digital material? I am looking for references on citizen science and analogue material as well as the different processes but often the articles are focused on objects that are already digitised or digital-born. I won’t be the one to only person to create these tasks (we have also three PhD Candidates in Anthropology, one PhD Candidate in Computer Science and another one in Digital Humanities) but since I will be doing the integration or validation of the metadata, I would like to establish the best possible workflow. Do you have any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Julien

Mia Ridge
    Participant
    @mia

Apologies for the time it’s taken me to get back to this after our book sprint…

To clarify my understanding – you’ll have some digital and some physical photos, and different activities around them – in-person, synchronous and co-located; and online, individual and possibly asynchronous? If so, is one of the main distinctions between the two the different levels of support from the project team and other participants during the process?

I’ve found it a lot easier to get richer feedback on tasks during face-to-face discussions (including video calls for usability walk-throughs, where necessary), so that might mean you want more flexibility to allow for ideas that emerge during the in-person sessions with analogue photographs.

That aside, a key question may be, do the data outputs for tasks on the analogue and digital items need to end up in the same format? And will you be asking the same questions / working towards the same goal in each case?

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.