A networking group for academics pursuing a wide range of careers.
- 12 September 2018 at 10:02 am EDT #16363
Post here about job opportunities.
- 18 September 2018 at 11:14 am EDT #16478
The office of the dean of the graduate school at Princeton has a new position open for a professional development program specialist with a deadline of 1 October.
This job will report to Amy Pszczolkowski, Assistant Dean for Professional Development and friend of Connected Academics.
- This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Stacy Hartman.
- 3 October 2018 at 3:06 pm EDT #16721
I’ve just uploaded two PDF’s to the Files section of jobs that were recently posted to Versatile PhD.
One is a 50% position at UC Merced that involves providing logistical support for a grant that builds community partnerships and graduate mentorship in the interdisciplinary humanities. (I imagine they might be willing to supplement the other 50% with teaching).
The second is a teaching / administrative hybrid role for an after school program for gifted kids in Vienna, VA.
Check them out!
- 17 October 2018 at 4:52 pm EDT #17137
The MLA is looking for a development coordinator. This is more or less an entry level position and (if I am honest) it probably does not pay great, but it would be a good way to get your foot in the door of the development world (much of which does pay extremely well). I would think of it as a postdoc.
Under the supervision of the head of communications and with guidance from the director of outreach, is responsible for spearheading the MLA’s fund-raising campaigns and initiatives. Oversees planning, communications, and logistics for fund-raising and engagement events. Engages in direct outreach to current and potential donors; plans and executes donor engagement initiatives; works with the director of outreach to develop strategic and fund-raising partnerships; conducts prospect research. Prepares donor communications, fund-raising reports, income projections, and budgets. Works with colleagues to ensure that donation messaging and donor engagement are folded into the full range of MLA programming and to ensure that information systems technology accurately and efficiently operate to support all MLA development needs. Contributes to communications and marketing initiatives, including Web pages and digital marketing and social media campaigns. Uses strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with supervisor, colleagues, MLA members, and external contacts. Maintains confidentiality in all matters that require it. Performs other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of relevant development experience, including prospect research, donor tracking, and event planning (experience with grant applications a plus)
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a humanities discipline (some graduate work in a humanities field desirable)
- Excellent communication, organizational, and research skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office, WordPress, and social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter
- Experience with customer relationship management platforms such as CiviCRM, Blackbaud, or Salesforce desirable
- Experience with Google Analytics desirable
- Experience with Photoshop or InDesign desirable
Candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Development92018@mla.org. Candidates must be able to work legally in New York State. At this time, the MLA is unable to provide relocation assistance. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- 18 January 2019 at 2:18 pm EST #19523
Hi fellow Connected Academics!
I just moved to California, which means my old job as an Educational Technology Specialist at Bryn Mawr College near Philly is vacant. Apply by January 31 on Interfolio.
I absolutely loved this job; this would be a good position for a PhD with some experience in teaching with technology and digital scholarship. The job is essentially helping students develop digital competencies–which you’d do through designing programming, working with faculty, teaching workshops, supervising interns and post-bacs, blogging and publicity. There’s some tech admin stuff too, so you would need to be pretty comfortable with a computer and teaching yourself new software, but this definitely isn’t a job that requires coding.
There are a bunch of humanities PhDs working there which makes for a nice community, and you can do some (optional, extra time and pay) light teaching. It’s great experience–when I found out I was moving to a new state, I was able to get a similar position in just a few weeks!
Happy to answer any questions!
- 29 January 2019 at 12:45 pm EST #19831
Hi everyone! A couple of jobs that have come across my radar recently:
1. UCHRI is hiring a Research Communications Manager: https://uchri.org/news/uchri-is-hiring/.
2. The CUNY Graduate Center is hiring an associate director of its writing center: https://cuny.jobs/new-york-ny/associate-director-for-the-writing-center-academic-resource-center-manager/81149D50B6E143E2A5C97840D71F64F3/job/
3. The Bard Prison Initiative is hiring a program director based in Indianapolis: http://www.bard.edu/employment/descriptions/?listing_id=5723653
All great jobs!
- 12 February 2019 at 4:47 pm EST #20271
I just saw this job posting:
University of Michigan’s Rackham Graduate School and the University Career Center are pleased to share a new opportunity for a graduate student career coordinator. The coordinator will be on the University Career Center staff and have their office located within the graduate school. This is a two-year term limited position supported by our Provost’s Office with the potential for an extension. Information about the position can be found at: http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/168421/coordinator_graduate_student_career_advancement
- 19 February 2019 at 10:14 pm EST #20538
I received an email publicizing the position of Assistant or Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies and Online and Professional Education at Georgia Tech’s School of Modern Languages. I’m passing it along in case anyone here is interested.
- 10 November 2020 at 9:12 am EST #39872
I work as an editor for FiT Publishing, a publisher in the sport sciences that operates under the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences at West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV).
We are hiring a new Director in the Spring. Click here for the job posting.
If you have any questions about the job, please feel free to reach out to me!
Only members can participate in this group's discussions.