Founded in 1998, the Popular Music Interest Group is dedicated to promoting the scholarly study of popular music through methods including musical analysis and theory. Our goals include:
• Ensuring academic recognition for popular music research
• Encouraging more scholars of music theory to engage popular repertoires
• Encouraging scholars of popular music to make effective use of musical analysis and theory
On our Humanities Commons site, we rely on our members to help edit this resource — this cooperation will help continually improve the presence of popular music in our classrooms and scholarship. Many thanks!
External Pages of Interest
I have converted the post about External Links into a Doc so we can crowd-source the best online resources you use or recommend to others. Please feel free to add more!
Digital Journalism on Popular Music Topics:
Crowd-Sourced Music Analyses:
Blogs (mainly analytical):
- Disney Music Theory Blog
- Top40 Theory (Asaf Peter’s)
- Odd Time Obsessed (examples of music in odd meters)
- Soundfly Blog Corpus Analysis Blogs on Billboard’s Top 5 Songs for 2017, 2018
- Soundfly Blog Corpus Analysis of 70 Top Disney Songs
Music Tech Related: