• Altarpiece of the Church of S. Vicente, Évora

    Author(s):
    Luís Henriques (see profile)
    Date:
    2016
    Subject(s):
    Art history
    Item Type:
    Video essay
    Tag(s):
    16th Century, Altarpiece, Évora
    Permanent URL:
    http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M6VQ4N
    Abstract:
    The actual church of S. Vicente is the third temple built since the Middle Ages. In its origins, it consisted of am oratory dedicated to S. Vicente, that in the fifteenth century was enclosed by a church sponsored by Luís Lourenço. This temple, dated from 1467 was already ruined in 1559. The new sixteenth-century church was sposored by humanist Garcia de Resende and the city's Câmara, which was rebuilt in the 1560s. In the primitive wall of the main chapel there is still frescoes depicting the so-called martyrs of Évora - Vicente, Sabina and Christeta - work done by painted Francisco de Campos. By the end of the sixteenth century, this fresco was covered by the current altarpiece, which was done by artist so-called Master of Tourega.
    Metadata:
    Status:
    Published
    Last Updated:
    1 week ago
    License:
    All Rights Reserved

    Downloads

    Item Name: mp4 altarpiece_saovicente_evora.mp4
      Download View in browser
    Activity: Downloads: 1