• Music from the Seats of Burgos Cathedral

    Author(s):
    Luís Henriques (see profile)
    Date:
    2015
    Subject(s):
    Art history, Musicology
    Item Type:
    Video essay
    Tag(s):
    16th Century, Organology, Paleography, Wood Carving, Canon
    Permanent URL:
    http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M6470S
    Abstract:
    Construction of Burgos Cathedral began in 1221, following French Gothic patterns. It had major changes in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In the sixteenth century, besides the modifications to several chapels, highlights the construction of a new dome by Juan de Vallejo, who replaced the Juan de Colonia (sunk after a hurricane). The stalls of the choir Renaissance Plateresque, which date from the sixteenth century, was work by Felipe Bigarny, who was also active in the Chapel del Constable. Besides musical instruments, the stalls depict several short canons and fugas for two, three and four voices.
    Metadata:
    Status:
    Published
    Last Updated:
    3 months ago
    License:
    All Rights Reserved

    Downloads

    Item Name: mp4 music_burgos.mp4
      Download View in browser
    Activity: Downloads: 1