• Church of the Convent of São Gonçalo, Angra do Heroísmo

    Author(s):
    Luís Henriques (see profile)
    Date:
    2013
    Subject(s):
    Art history
    Item Type:
    Video essay
    Tag(s):
    18th Century, Angra do Heroísmo, Azores, Poor Clares, Convent
    Permanent URL:
    http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M66984
    Abstract:
    The Convent of São Gonçalo in Angra do Heroísmo (Terceira, Azores) was established in 1542, when Brás Pires do Canto obtained papal authorisation for the construction of a convent destined to the contemplativa order of the Poor Clares. The church of São Gonçalo de Amarante was inaugurated in 1776, housing the Irmandade de Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte e Asunção. Following the extinction of the religious orders in 1832, the convent was spared, receiving the nuns from the other feminine convents of the other surrounding islands. It was classified as Property of Public Interest in 1971. The church's organ was built by António Xavier Machado e Cerveira in 1793.
    Metadata:
    Status:
    Published
    Last Updated:
    2 weeks ago
    License:
    All Rights Reserved

    Downloads

    Item Name: mp4 igreja_sao_goncalo_angra.mp4
      Download View in browser
    Activity: Downloads: 0